SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jackson34_gw

Creating Foundation for Woodland Setting Behind New Home

jackson34
18 years ago

I have just moved into a new home and I would love to create a wooded setting in our backyard. The only problem is the yard was completely bare when we moved in this past summer. We live in zone 5 (Indiana).

The yard is about 104' x 100' and is surrounded by a 6' privacy fence. It slopes towards the house and meets the slope from the house about 25' feet from the foundation. I am planning on creating a creek bed at the low point, as ground water already naturally flows down that path and it can be pretty wet around there during the rain season.

I desperately wanted to get some trees started this fall, as I knew we would need a lot of time for the yard to develop so I wanted to start ASAP. We put in three sycamore trees across the back (we are near a river and they seem to grow well in this area), I also added a red maple near the head of the creek thinking it would thrive in the wet conditions. I added a sugar maple near the house, and planted a quaking aspen grove on the North side near the fence. I know the quaking aspen will not live long, so I also put a small (12''- 18'') Burr Oak down underneath it, hoping the the Oak will be ready to take over once the Aspen run their course. I also added grass just to get some groundcover to keep weeds down and prevent erosion, but I would really like to turn most of this area into a wooded lot. The backyard is about 1/3 of an acre so I was hoping I could do something with it.

Our Great Dane took an immediate interest in the Sycamore trees

{{gwi:1352254}}

The old barn adds some character to the area. There is also some poplar coming up on the opposite side of the fence, near the barn.

{{gwi:1352255}}

Obviously, I have a lot of work to do. It seems like I am so far away from my goal that I don't really know the best way to start off. I am guessing I just need to design a path (or two), paper/mulch over some sections of grass, and get a lot more trees in there? I am not sure what type of trees would be best, so if anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them. The soil looks pretty good in most areas, there is some heavy clay near the house from the excavation.

I know in a normal setting you generally want to space trees to allow for their full growth (spread) at maturity, but if the goal is a wooded setting shouldn't they be placed much closer to each other? I think the placement is my biggest concern, I would like add some more Oaks and probably some evergreens as well, but I just do not know how to properly space them to set the foundation for a wooded setting? Also, I don't want to go overboard and try to cram too many trees into this area? I definitely want it to be wooded, but I just don't want to waste money on any trees that will be crowded out by other and not survive.

Any suggestions or ideas would be much appreciated!

Comments (22)

Sponsored