SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rebeccaindfw

Creating a romantic woodland garden in North Texas

rebeccaindfw
17 years ago

{{gwi:17039}}

Hello!

I was wondering if you could help me create a little woodland garden in an unlikely spot (15Âw x 30Âl) in Dallas (zone 8). My husband and I are removing all the grass (or rather weeds) and converting this space into a bed.

So far I have hellebores and foxgloves in this side yard facing my bedroom, my studio, and my guest room windows, and theyÂre doing well. (Despite the fact that the foxgloves should theoretically like full sun, they seem to have done okay on the morning sun alone. Our summers are just too hot for foxgloves in full sun, and this spot keeps them a bit protected from the crazy windstorms we occasionally get here.) This photo was taken at 6 pm a few days ago, so itÂs pretty shady most of the time, thanks to the shadow of the house and the three trees.

IÂm going to try to add a little stone path soon (as you can see by my cheesy rendering in the photo above), and add one of the steppable plants in between the cracks. IÂd like to add some sort of shrubs against the fence for variable height, but screening out the fence as much as possible so as to enhance the woodland effect. IÂm thinking one could be oak leaf hydrangea, but I would also like something that is evergreen, since IÂll see them all year long. Vines are out because of my neighbor.

Other plants IÂd like to add include ferns, possibly spotted deadnettle (lamium maculatum), wood sorrel (oxalis crassipes, which is supposed to be one of the well-behaved oxalises).

IÂd also like to add something as a foundation plant against the house on the right, but it canÂt get too high and block the windows or have a destructive root system. IÂd be open to adding river rocks or something like that if necessary.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (9)