SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sujiwan_gw

Relating tree species to soils

I've been trying to figure out where to find a soils map for Adams County, PA that I can then localize to my newly acquired "farm". Conversely, I've been looking at the natives growing that I can easily identify, wondering what it tells me about the soil.

This farm is part of a wide valley and has a meandering stream running through it which apparently overflows at times and covers part of the treed area. The pasture across the road near me often seems to have a fair amount of standing water to drain off. The trees found on my side are huge black walnut and hickory trees, unidentified species and a bunch of low growing unknown shrubs/ wild rose bushes. I always thought that black walnut liked deep, rich, moist soils and hickory were more upland. For black walnut to thrive, would this mean that the flooding is infrequent and short lived?

Away from the stream areas, I think the property had several acres of low pasture which is colonized by lots of skinny trees. It looks like maybe some sort of maple. I don't see any evergreens or oak. We're talking about clearing out and reclaiming some land for alternative uses like pasture or chosen habitat plantings with more variety.

Right now, all I know is that the soil on the dwelling side of the road is dark brown and crumbly while the stream banks on the other side are yellowish clay (Kaolin?) and the ground under trees is woodland duff covered brown.

Sorry for the ramble, but I'm hoping someone can point me toward some information about what I've got to work with based on the little bit of shared info here. What do volunteer tree types tell us about what else we can do with that habitat?

Comments (5)

Sponsored