SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bossjim1

I Don't Like the Looks of This!

bossjim1
13 years ago

I got up into the bed this morning, to trim some dead wood out of my Climbing Pinkie rose, and look what I found.

I don't think this is a good thing. It looks like Shelf fungus. I should probably take some cuttings off this rose, and try to get them rooted, before I lose it. Tell me I'm wrong?

Jim

Comments (11)

• PKponder TX Z7B
    13 years ago

I just don't know! If it were mine, I'd be taking backup cuttings.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    13 years ago

I've never seen anything like that on roses. Why don't you put the picture on the main Rose Forum and see what they say? There are lots of very experienced and knowledgeable rosarians on there. You know this already, but don't forget to sterilize any saws or clippers you use on it.

(PS to Jim: My pink bleeding heart came back from the roots too.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Rose Forum

• remuda1
    13 years ago

Hey Jim, had never heard of this fungus until now but after a quick search on it, I'd agree with you and Pam. Cuttings, cuttings, cuttings. One site said that you could try to cut out the affected canes, I sure hope you don't lose that beautiful rose. But if so, they certainly grow fast so it should take too long to get back to the beautiful specimen you have now. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Kristi

• bossjim1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I posted this on the 'Garden Clinic' forum. Check out the answer I received, and the guys credentials, on his page.
    I'm convinced.
    Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Clinic

• remuda1
    13 years ago

What a shame Jim! Would be good to know if it's a soil-born fungus. I just hate that it happened, that Pinky was gorqeous with your great umbrella trellis. How is the trellis anchored in the bed?

Kristi

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    13 years ago

So sorry Jim. But as Kristi says it will grow back fast.

Would be nice to know if there is anything that needs to be done to treat the area for prevention of a reoccurence, but it is probably such a rare event no one knows for sure.

• cweathersby
    13 years ago

I've seen that in my rose garden before but never noticed any damage to the roses.

• plantloverkat north Houston - 9a
    13 years ago

Hi, Jim. I have similar looking fungus in my yard in the warm summer months. I have seen it in three areas of my yard where large water oaks used to grow. In two spots, we never had the stumps ground; in the other area we had the stump ground (which really just means to about 10" -12" under ground - the deeper parts remain to be broken down on their own). In this last area, we brought in an additional 10" of dirt to make a raised bed on the spot where the tree had been removed. We planted a crepe myrtle, a silver bell tree, a rose (Marie Daley) and various annuals and perennials. During the third summer after the oak was removed and the new bed was made, I began seeing this type of fungus in the bed. I looked at lots of fungus pictures on line (many types look very similar) and guessed it was probably some type that helps break down dead oak.
    I asked at the local garden store if some kind of fungicide would help stop the fungus, and they told me that it was probably just from the oak roots breaking down and that the process would continue (even if stopped temporarily with a fungicide) until the remaining oak roots had decayed.
    Now with the warm weather setting in for this year, it is starting to come back. I have gotten to where I just pick up the ones that grow on the ground, but some do grow adjacent to a plant and can encircle the plant if not picked up while small. My crepe myrtle gets it around the trunk every year (I know it is planted over some of the larger roots that remain under ground). I try to carefully break it off with a trowel, but have to repeat the process every month. Smaller plants that get encircled will just come up with the fungus, so I have to decide whether to lose the plant or keep the fungus(which will continue to grow in size).
    So far, none of the plants have seemed to be harmed by this fungus, except for the small ones that get accidentally pulled up with the fungus. Once the weather cools down in October, the fungus goes dormant until the following May or June when the weather really heats up again.
    Hopefully my experience will be helpful to you.
    Kathy

• bossjim1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you so much, Kathy! It's as if you were telling the story of this flower bed. Four years ago, I had a cypress tree removed and the stump ground. Then 3 years ago, I built this raised bed over the area, and planted this rose. This is the first time I have noticed the fungus, but your story gives me hope that the rose might survive. I think that I will remove the fungus as best I can, and watch what happens. I am going to take cuttings, just in case.
    Jim

• jolanaweb
    13 years ago

Jim, I agree with Kathy, I had the same thing happen , just different trees. I don't know if Tammy would remember but they were in the back bed and I showed her all of the turkey tail amongst other fungi
    Nothing has ever died from that here.
    But take cuttings, just in case

• random_harvest
    13 years ago

I don't think you could kill Pinkie with dynamite. It's one tough rose!