SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tesschron

what would you put here?

15 years ago

In Dallas, I have most of my garden in full cottage bloom, but have a 3x4 spot that needs planting. I bought a Lantana to tbrow in until I decided what I really wanted, and then noticed the light pattern.

Picture a 6 foot fence. then the space. In front and above is a Dynamite crepe myrtle, currently 6 foot, but going to 10-15. The plants below and in front of the crape, two golden spirea at the base of the tree, Marcus salvia, to Pincushion flower, are definitely full sun. My open space is behind the tree, which gets dappled sun in the morning, full shade at 11, and then the afternoon to evening hours, the space is split in half - from say, 12-3 the back half 1.5 feet is in full sun, and the front half is in full shade. Then it reverses. This is true Texas sun. So, probably 3-4 hours of dappled morning sun, and then at least 3-4 hours of full sun, alternating between the front and back half of the plant.

IT is too much sun for partial shade plants, I tried that combo on hostas and heucheras and they cooked. Would you treat this as a full sun area and plant the lantana? Or do I have to find something that does sun and shade, darn it? Thanks for the advice,

terry

Comments (3)