SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynn_nevins

First winter with container plants. I'm sick with worry.

Lynn Nevins
20 years ago

This is my first winter with container plants out of doors. I put a lot of time, effort and love (and money) into my plants! I only bought plants appropriate for my zone, I mulched them to help keep the roots warm, they're all in plastic pots (not clay!), etc. I also have 8' cement walls around my yard. So I thought my plants would do well in the winter. However, it didn't even OCCUR to me that if snow accumulated, it could begin to weigh heavily on my shrubs and Japanese maple, and actually cause branches to break.

So now I am sick with worry because after this past weekend's big storm, the shrub branches are all bent, and I saw that some branches on my Japanese maple broke off. At the same time though, I realize that plants and trees "in the wild" surely endure this every winter, and then they somehow come back OK in the Spring, right? However, is there anything I can do to ensure or at least help them in not getting so damaged from heavy snows/ice? Or should I not worry so much, and just realize that nature will take care of itself?

Thank you!!

Comments (12)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals