SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
granburyflowergirl

Mesquite Bean Flour

granburyflowergirl
12 years ago

So, during droughts, Mesquite trees produce tons and tons of beans. Apparently this is natures way of providing for survival of desert dwellers in tough times.

Since my green bean crop is far from producing, I was joking with my mom that she could probably just eat the mesquite beans while she is waiting. This led to a little web research and OMG, mesquite bean flour appears to be a super food! High in protein and essential minerals, no gluten, sweet and tasty, excellent for diabetics, on and on...

So of course I immediately went out and gathered about 20 gallons of mesquite beans. With big ideas about making my own wonder flour and maybe even selling some at the local farmers market, I started to investigate how to mill these rock hard beans...not so simple.

Arizona has a co-op that travels around with a big hammer-mill for people to use, but I cant find anything like that in Texas. I Googled to see how Native Americans were able to use these beans and got a picture of a rock and a slab :-(

Does anyone know of a reasonably accessible/affordable way to process Mesquite Beans into flour here in Texas? A hammer mill costs about $1,800.00 for a cheap one. Anyone interested in going into the mesquite flour grinding business with me? Apparently people pay $7.00-$15.00/lb at health food stores for this stuff...We'd only have to sell about 250lbs to recoup the investment - if the cheap mill holds up that long lol.

Any experiences/advice? Thanks

Comments (40)

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County