SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kbaird4939

How do you garden with a snake issue?

kbaird4939
10 years ago

Hi, all, and Happy Father's Day to any fathers,

I live in a suburb of Dallas. My suburban property backs up to an overgrown (trees and such) creek and an uncultivated field beyond. I love to garden and find it very stress-relieving. Except the snake issue. I am flat-out terrified of them--hyperventilating, faint, goose-bump terrified. I know, I know, I shouldn't have bought this house, but I loved it. It's where I am right now, so any anecdotes, tips, wisdoms, therapies are what I'm looking for.

Over the past few years I've had snakes in my garage, on my back patio, in my driveway, in my house (a weatherstripping issue, since resolved). Most of the ones I've seen have been harmless ones, though many have been large.

Couple of years ago, in early spring, my 60lb husky/shepherd mix was bitten on the face while I was standing next to her. I never saw the snake, but it was venomous. We were in a bare planting bed, with a matted cover of leaves. The dog survived. The vet believed it was a copperhead.

My next door neighbors, and the neighbors on the other side of her, have both had copperheads in the past weeks, 2 yesterday.

Because of the drought, and my fear of working near the fence in back, most everything has died that was planted along the fence line (it's beds all along the fence and the house.) Even though I wish for lush plantings there, I'm leaving it bare across the back and part-way up the sides towards the house. The house beds are lush though.

Is there anything I can do, short of ripping everything out and going back to just grass?

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County