SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jerrya_gw

Thieving birds, a further observation

jerrya
15 years ago

Earlier this year I posted a theory that a sun shade cloth seemed to help cut down birds/squirrels that usually eat my tomatoes. I have further evidence to support that fact this morning.

My Brandywine plant sits next to a fence that shades it starting about 4 p.m. so it is not under shade cloth, but I wrap it carefully in bird netting. As it had about 3 large still green fruit on it, I began to get paranoid and took up advice from GW and wrapped each fruit an an opaque bag sealed with a rubber band. This morning, I checked on things and find a pair of really fat looking, common sparrows have managed to get through the bird netting, tear open the plastic bags and proceed to go crazy on the tops of not one, not two, but all 3 remaining fully green maters! They were quite chirpy with me when I picked them anyway. ARG!!!! Oh well, fried green tomatoes tonight.

Now, the observation, at the same time and 30 feeet down the way sat cherokee purple and boxcar willie plants both with fruit that is blushing and all untouched. The only protection these guys had was above them I suspended a white sun shade cloth. So, either sparrows have excellent taste and an affinity for Brandywine tomato (possible I'll admit) or the ability to spy tomatoes from up above is critical to their thievery! So, if you have a small number of plants like I do, and all manner of birds, squirrels and who knows what else wants to skip all the hard work and just enjoy the fruits of your labor, consider covering them with sun shade cloth.

This is just one year and chance surely could also be at play here, but next year, everyone is getting shade cloth. When it's 100 and they are planted next to my brick house, I'm sure they won't mind the relief, and maybe just maybe, I'll fool those fat, greedy critters!

Comment