SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dirtgirl_wt

thought for the day: impact of reintroducing turkeys

dirtgirl
18 years ago

I was out enjoying the really nice fall weather we have been having and now that the underbrush is dying back the turkey activity is really showing up. It is as if a squadron of tiny roto-tillers has been roving about the woods. In some places where they have been scratching about they have then stopped and fluffed about in the "wallows" resulting in craters that can be up to 2 feet wide and somewhere around 4-5 inches deep. I am curious what this means for woodlots. My thinking is that hundreds of years ago the forests and broken prairie here also had turkeys but they were possibly more dispersed during those times having more woodland range to occupy. Now they are more confined to the remnant forest fragments and their populations seem to be exploding.I wonder what their numbers were like in the past century. I don't think the loss of predators is much of a factor since there are still plenty of foxes, owls, coyotes, snakes, etc. around, although I am betting bobcats were a big taker of birds. What I am sure of is that today's turkey has all this grain-producing farmland to roam, which undoubtedly helps the survival rate. What concerns me is the possibilty of food surplus/population overload, which could result in a situation that parallels the problem we are seeing in whitetails.

It is the activity I am seeing in the woods that has me the most curious. Maybe it's a good thing, helping turn the top layer of material over? All I know is that we have a core group of about 15 birds and if you combine their love for acorns with a relatively confined area of producing trees, you get a real change in the consistency of the forest floor and I only wonder what the results are.

Comments (13)