SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
atlcharm

How to de-weed a heavily mulched area

atlcharm
15 years ago

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!! I need to kill weeds permenantly in an area where applications of roundup did not even help. The area has also been heavily mulched with pinestraw and now it seems like the weeds are healthier than ever. I don't know what to do and do not have much money. I am single and don't have anyone to help me with this financially. The are used to have junipers but there is really nothing there anymore because it has been killed off my the weed infestation. The area is huge and is on a steep slope. I am not interested in growing anything is this area. Just keeping it mulched and weed free will be good enough for me as really this will be a rental home in a year or so and will defintely need to be low maintance. I thought about putting the black polyethylene (PE) film down to smother the weeds and then mulch on top of that. What process do I need to take? The area was just newly mulched I don't want to discard that mulch just to be the PE down. Can it be reused? I am short on cash here. This is the process I am thinking of taking:

1. Rake all the mulch off into a pile

2. Pull all the weeds. Do i need to spray roundup or anything since it did not work anyway or would pulling be enough since I am going to cover with black plastic

3. put the black plastic down

4. put the same mulch over the black plastic. Will this mulch have weeds seeds in it. Can I just treat the mulch somehow or would i need brand new mulch?

Help!! Thank you!

Comments (5)