SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sandlapper_rose

new: obf - november swap - curl up with a good book!

sandlapper_rose
12 years ago

Here's our November Swap. In order to participate you must be a member of the group Our Bloomin Friends. If you want to find out about joining the group, please contact Shirley or Carol (or just post here and someone will notice!)

It's getting cooler and the days are getting shorter - time to curl up in a favorite chair and read a book! You will be sharing a book by a favorite author with someone in the group this month. The book does not need to new and can be paperback, but it must be fiction, not a reference book and not non-fiction, and not a children's book - something you think the member will read and enjoy, just as if she was picking out a fiction book for herself.. If the book involves gardens or gardening, so much the better, but that is not required. There are two other things you will send with your book - a bookmark (can be handmade or bought) - a Fall or Garden Theme would be ideal, but that type is not required - and some other little gift that relates to the story content of the book. These are to be small/inexpensive things. The swap is intended to be simple and inexpensive. For example if my book was Gone with the Wind I could work with the word "wind" and send windchimes or I could think about the drapes that Scarlet made into clothing and send a spool of thread or decorative buttons or something like that to represent her making the dress. If angels were a part of the story content, I could send any little thing with an angel design. Obviously the little object can be seeds or something relating to the garden if the story is about gardens or takes place in a garden. As for bookmarks, you can find sites online where you can print one out on cardstock, or just make one in another way, or simply purchase one.

There is also a game thrown into the mix here. Decide on your book and then post the name of the author with the letters scrambled, like the Jumble puzzles. Keep the multiple words separated so people have some chance of figuring out the name if they wish, but don't guess on the board. (The reason for posting the name is so that if you have read and saved every single book by the author and don't need another copy, you have some chance not to select it.) Just as an example, here is Margaret Mitchell, author of Gone with the Wind: Teramgra Themcill.

Everyone in OBFs who wants to play this month should think of the book you will send, scramble the name of the author and sign up here by posting the author's name scrambled. On November 15th, I will post a list of book/literary words and you can each select one, first come first served style. I will have already attached a number to each of the words and that will determine the order of picking. At that point, #1 will pick a book (by author's scrambled name), then #2, etc. You should mail out your book and other items to the person by Nov. 22nd with a delivery confirmation.

I hope all of this makes sense. If not, just ask. You will be sending 3 things: a novel, a bookmark, and some little item that relates in some way to the story in the book.

I will also be the hostess for December and the theme for that month will be "Sing the Bloomin Christmas Carol." It will include lots of holiday fun!

I hope everyone has a great month of November and just because I posted a few days early, Happy Halloween!

Jeanne

Comments (75)