SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
avid_hiker

Aerated Compost Tea recipie

avid_hiker
14 years ago

How about some of you giving us your aerated tea recipies. Let us know if you add anything other than compost and molassas and when in the process you add the extras.

Did you know that the sun's UV light destroys the microbes from your aerated compost tea? So water the plants before, say, 8AM or after 4PM when the UV intensity is low to non existent.

Also, if you use a sprayer in order to apply your tea usa the setting that has the largest holes. You want the tea to stay on the leaves as long as possible and the larger dropletts do not evaporate as fast as the light misting spray does. Also spray under the leaves as well as on top.

My recipie for a 5 gal bucket is as follows:

Place 5 cups of good organic fetilizer (I use worm castings)inside a paint filter. I find the ones from the Doit Center are very good. I have less sediment at the bottom the process is done. Do not use an old pillow case; the weave is too small to let fungi pass into the water. Fungi are a lot larger than bacteria and the tiny thread count of sheets and pillow cases are just too small.

Place one airstone inside the pouch that contains your compost. This helps break the microbes from the compost so they can pass into the water. Place the other two airstones in the bottom of the bucket.

Add about an ounce of molassas to the unchlorinated water. If your community uses chloramine (not chlorine) you cannot get it out by aerating it. You must use the drops you can buy in fish stores. Be sure to use twice as much as the container directions call for.

After six to eight hours remove the the bag of compost. Place the airstone that was in the bag at the bottom of the bucket and let the tea bubble for another 24 hours.

Just before I intend to use the tea I place one ounce of fish emulsion and one ounce of liquid seaweed into the batch.

Comments (2)