SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plantslayer

Leaf curl caused by pruning?

14 years ago

So, one of my neighbors at the community garden saw that my determinant plants were very bushy, and started telling me and my wife that we absolutely HAD to prune them VERY HEAVILY to avoid poor air circulation and the attendant diseases that come with it.

So I pruned a bit (just folliage, I know better than to prune off stems from a determinant plant), but I insist that it can't be good to stress the plant out by pruning it heavily all at once. I am also concerned that pruning heavily leaves open injuries on the plant which can get infected with disease, which could be just as bad as the poor air circulation. The neighbor just pshawed at my concerns, waved her "master gardener" credentials in my face so to speak, and kept insisting that I needed to be more extreme with the pruning. My wife was there that time, and chimes in about how I always want to baby the plants, don't like to prune them, etc. etc. and takes the advice to heart, really going to town on the plants.

I guess it's been a week or less, and I see that the pruned plants have leaf curl to various degrees, and that some leaves are a bit dark (but not diseased looking). I asked my "master gardener" neighbor what she thought about it, and she assumes it is irregular watering. When I got home I read up online about leaf curl, and learned that stressing out a plant with heavy pruning can also cause this problem.

Now, the plants in question do have a lot of green fruit on them right now, so they might need more water than before, but we water the plants 2-3 times per week, giving each plant a deep watering at the base. They were planted with some organic fertilizer, and I fed them once since then. Temperatures haven't been above 80 until today. Nothing else in my garden suffering from irregular watering, and the indeterminant plants (which got some pruning, but not as extreme) are OK as far as leaf curl goes. So is it correct for me to assume that it is actually the pruning that stressed the plants out?

I'm not really worried about the plants, presumably they should recover, but I want to know what actually caused this so that I can improve as a gardener.

Comments (7)