SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sandyfrances

leaf curl! brittle leaves! possible causes? HELP!

sandyfrances
14 years ago

I am a daylily fanatic and have been growing them in my Wilmington, NC, garden for about 12 years without problems. Yesterday, I noticed that two daylily plants had curled leaves shaped like a whorl or a corkscrew curl! The curl seemed to start from the base of the plant, not the tip. There were several leaves on each plant that were not curled, though. Two of the leaves had a very small tan streak -- maybe an inch or two long. The curled leaves were very brittle, so I feared that the leaf curl might be the result of a disease or pest.

I was immediately worried about daylily rust, but the photos of daylily rust on the internet don't seem to match what I am seeing, so far.

I heard that aphids could cause leaf curl, but I did not see aphids.

We've had a dry spring, but we've had other dry springs and I've still never seen anything like this.

I dug up the afflicted plants, put them in a pot away from the garden, just in case they harbored a disease that could spread. I quarantined the shovel and gloves and washed my gardening clothes. I hope that I have been overcautious and that this isn't as dire as it seems.

Daylily season is my favorite time of year. I should start to see blooms before the end of May, so I'm hoping this problem does not spread. Does anyone have any thoughts of what might cause this kind of leaf curl and brittleness?

Thanks,

Sandra

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!