SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
californian_gw

Taste test winners and losers so far this year

californian
12 years ago

First the disclaimer: This is based on my taste buds and my soil and my growing techniques and southern California weather, and the seeds I used.

Winners, definitely grow again:

Cherokee Purple-best tasting tomato so far

Brandywine Suddeth-close behind, but distorted looking fruit, this was the first year I ever had good results

Juanne Flamme-best small tomato, pretty early too

Isis Candy-sweetest Cherry

Stupice-OK, but worth growing because it is earliest tomato to ripen

Momotaro-very sweet, but not prolific

Cherokee Green, mixed results so far, some fruit was fantastic, some just so so. Hard to tell when ripe other than a squeeze test

The following are disappointments and I will not be planting them again:

Black Cherry-OK, but not sweet enough for me

Sun Gold-so far not as good as Isis Candy, expensive seeds, hope it gets better, was very good in previous years

Japanese Black Triffele-watery

Earl of Edgecomb-spitter, sour

Caspian Pink-Almost all fruit got sunscald, hardly any taste

JDs C-Tex-OK, and early for a big tomato, but just so so taste, was supposed to be dark colored, but mine were red

Neves Azorian Red-Biggest fruit, and keeps kicking them out, but so so taste

The following I haven't made up my mind on yet:

Kelloggs Breakfast-was one of my favorites last year, but this year lots of catfacing

Rose-first tomato picked was OK, hope they get better

Marianna's Peace-last year was one of the best, this year so so so far

Brandy Boy-OK, but not as tasty as Brandywine

I have several more varieties I planted late and which haven't ripened any fruit yet so will report on them later.

BTW, I use no pesticides or fungicides, and knock on wood, so far I have had no disease and hardly any insect damage. Also, as the season progresses my opinion may change as more fruit ripens completely.

Comments (20)