SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ilovegardening_gw

Toxic garden hose! What about my wildlife?

ilovegardening
13 years ago

I recently bought a new hose to add to my existing one in the backyard. It's a Black & Decker, plainly marked GARDEN HOSE.

You know how the circular cardboard label is held down with wires wrapped around the hose? So you never see the OTHER side of the cardboard until after you've taken the hose home and removed the wires? When I undid the wires I never looked at the flip side of the cardboard. Why would I, really?

I kept the label because the hose has a lifetime warranty.

Today I saw it, lying upside down--and I noticed some very small print on the back. My jaw dropped when I read it! It says that the hose "contains chemicals, including lead, known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects and other reproductive harm." It goes on to say NOT to drink from the hose and to WASH YOUR HANDS after using it.

So now I'm panicking worrying that I've poisoned/damaged the wildlife in my yard! I have songbirds, peacocks--including brand new babies--squirrels, lizards, hummingbirds, sparrows, and more that visit. I use my GARDEN HOSE for, duh!, things in my garden--like birdbaths, fountains, ponds, and plants. The animals drink and/or bathe in the water and eat some of the plants.

Why on earth would they make a toxic hose and label it for garden use? I know I'm not the only person who has birdbaths and other water features that wildlife visit in their yard.

I'm going to contact Black & Decker but I guess I just wanted to rant--and to warn others. CHECK THE LABELS on your hoses--and be sure to look at the side of the label you can't see while you're in the store. If that warning had been on the FRONT of the label, I never would have bought the hose.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor