SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19691163

I'd like input from experienced veggie gardeners

User
14 years ago

My experience has been tomatoes, peppers, okra, and black-eyed peas. This spring we went wild and branched out to onions, garlic, squash, zucchini, lots of different peppers and tomatoes, potatoes, carrots, green beans, cucumbers, pumpkins, basil, and corn.

Now, as they are growing, I realize I don't know how to tell when they are ready or if there are special needs they have. I think I am ok with green beans if they will grow this year. Last year nematodes stunted them and I tried to treat the soil before planting this year. We'll see. I think the squash & melon plants should be easy if I can keep the bugs off. I've been checking the underside of the leaves for eggs and scraping them off & smushing them. Anything else I should know about them?

I have questions about the below ground plants. I've never actually seen carrots growing and don't know how to tell if there's even anything under the green. Does anyone know how tall the green above ground gets when it's ready to dig? I asked on the vegetable forum how to tell about them, and have done some searching online, and most of the information is about spring planted onions and garlic. We planted the garlic last year and it was a surprise when it came up this year actually. The onions we planted, and one of them has a flower pod on it. From what I read, that one shouldn't have that, and it will go bad fairly soon after digging up. Should I go ahead & dig it up, or let it go to see for fall seed?

Then the basil. Will it bolt or get bitter if it gets too big? Is it an annual here? Any other tips?

Comments (11)