SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rhlee

Tilling soil before weeding

rhlee
9 years ago

At the moment I am clearing out the beds in my garden which I have neglected for some time.

The method I use is first hand pulling the weeds on my hands and knees with a narrow trowel to get rid of deep rooted weeds. When any weeds start coming back in the, they are shallow rooted and I make a quick pass with the hoe to uproot them.

The problem I have is with the first part, the hand pulling. My garden is hard clay, which gets baked even harder in summer. Because of this, most of my time and effort goes into breaking up and loosening the soil so that I can pull the weeds out, roots and all. I've covered 1-2 sq.m. and got another 30-40 sq.m. to go and I find my back muscles get pretty tight and aching afterwards.

My question is whether I could save my self a lot of effort by hand tilling the soil first beforhand, making it loose and hence easier to pull out weeds?

I was thinking of using the rotating spur wheel soil miller and/or the hand cultivartors with the 4 prongs at an angle. I was always taught that you need to get the whole root of the weeds otherwise it would grow back. And so I am concerned that tilling might break up the roots, causing more weeds to grow back. But on the other hand any new weed growth from leftover roots would be shallow. With repeating hoeing, I'm thinking they would die off.

I'm also hoping as the tilling would be only 1-2 inches deep, I would not kill too many earthworms.

What do you guys think?

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets