SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
reba_grows

Tomato Salmonella UPDATED info as of June 11th

reba_grows
15 years ago

I've been looking at the FDA site daily since my own tomatoes are still far from producing and I've got a serious bacon, lettuce and tomato jones.

Below is the link for the updated FDA page.(Sorry I can't remember how to add the link directly.)

http://www.fda.gov/oc/opacom/hottopics/tomatoes.html

Highlights from the site follow:

Updated June 11, 2008:

At this time, the FDA recommends consuming raw red plum, raw red Roma, or raw red round tomatoes only if grown and harvested from the following areas-

that HAVE NOT BEEN ASSOCIATED WITH THE OUTBREAK:

Alabama

Alaska

Arkansas

California

Colorado

Delaware

Florida (counties of: Jackson, Gadsden, Leon, Jefferson, Madison, Suwannee, Hamilton, Hillsborough, Polk, Manatee, Hardee, DeSoto, Sarasota, Highlands, Pasco, Sumter, Citrus, Hernando, Charlotte)*

Georgia

Hawaii

Iowa

Kansas

Kentucky

Louisiana

Maine

Maryland

Massachusetts

Michigan

Minnesota

Mississippi

Missouri

New Hampshire

New Jersey

New York

Nebraska North Carolina

Ohio

Pennsylvania

South Carolina

Tennessee

Texas

Utah

Vermont

Virginia

Washington

West Virginia

Wisconsin

Belgium

Canada

Dominican Republic

Guatemala

Israel

Netherlands

Puerto Rico

* Shipments of tomatoes harvested in these counties are acceptable with a certificate issued by the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services.

Consumers who are unsure of where the tomatoes are from that they have in their home are encouraged to contact the store or place of purchase for that information. If consumers are unable to determine the source of the tomatoes, they should not be eaten.

Consumers should also be aware that raw tomatoes are often used in the preparation of fresh salsa, guacamole, and pico de gallo, are part of fillings for tortillas, and are used in other dishes.

Types of tomatoes not linked to any illnesses are cherry tomatoes, grape tomatoes, and tomatoes with the vine still attached.

Since mid April, there have been 167 reported cases of salmonellosis nationwide, caused by Salmonella Saintpaul, an uncommon form of Salmonella. At least 23 hospitalizations have been reported.

Here's what the FDA says about cooking out or washing off the salmonella in their FAQS....

-------Will washing the tomatoes identified in this outbreak make them safe to eat?

Consumers are advised not to try to wash raw red plum, red Roma, or raw red round tomatoes that are implicated in the outbreak. Consumers should throw these tomatoes out. Salmonella is very hard to wash off. Salmonella has physical properties that make it difficult to remove once it is present on a tomato. Conventional cleaning methods are not likely to completely eliminate it. In addition, the potential for cross-contamination is high.

The FDA does not recommend using any kinds of detergents to wash fresh produce, because it is not yet known if their residues are harmful to humans.

-------Can cooking tomatoes eliminate Salmonella?

Consumers should not attempt to cook the tomatoes involved in this outbreak in an effort to kill Salmonella. Handling tomatoes contaminated with Salmonella can spread the bacterium to anything the handler touches, including hands, kitchen utensils, cutting boards, sinks, and other foods. Cooking tomatoes in the home will not ensure that Salmonella is eliminated.

Note that refrigeration will not eliminate Salmonella that is already present on a tomato.

Fresh, cut tomatoes should be refrigerated at 41 F or less.

If fresh, cut tomatoes are added to another food, such as salsa, the food should be refrigerated at 41° F or less.

If fresh, cut tomatoes are placed on a salad, it should be refrigerated at 41° F or less.

Fresh, cut tomatoes on sandwiches should be refrigerated at 41° F or less.

-----------From farm to table, where in the process are tomatoes most likely to become contaminated? What are the most likely sources of contamination?

Fresh produce, including tomatoes, can become contaminated at any point along the supply chain, from the field or greenhouse where it is grown, to distribution points, to food preparation in restaurants and homes.

---------Have there been other outbreaks from contaminated tomatoes, before this one?

Since 1990, at least 12 large, multi-state foodborne outbreaks and some small local outbreaks have been associated with different varieties of tomatoes.

From 1998 to 2006, outbreaks reported to FDA associated with tomatoes made up 17 percent of produce-related outbreaks. Salmonella has been the pathogen of concern most often associated with outbreaks from tomatoes.

I had just bought some tomatoes yesterday at my usual farm market and was told they would be fine because they came from Florida and Florida was ok. But when I came home and looked on the site- less than half of Florida's counties are 'ok'....

I'm puttin' a rush order on my plants for quicker home grown tomatoes !!

I hope this helps.

Rebecca

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths