SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
danjohnsonis

indeterminate tomatoes in containers and soil mix

DanJohnsonIs
10 years ago

I've been trying my hand at growing tomatoes in containers in for a couple of summers now. I've not had much luck to say the least. Honestly I just grabbed some plants and potting mix and a couple of 5 gallon buckets and had at it.

This year I decided to try and look for some pointers and actually get a good harvest. However I did some of the same things that I've done in years past.

I just learned the difference between determinate indeterminate tomatoes. I've already bought my plants so they are what I have to go with. I have two early girls, one Mr stripey and one super sweet 100. I also have one burpless bush cucumber.

I used an 18 gallon container to mix up a small bag of perlite (8 quarts maybe) 3 gallons of soil left over from last year and 4 bags of organic manure and humus. As I read further and learned of Al's mix I'm worried that what I have may not be good enough for containers. However I must use what I already have on hand.

I have decided however to grow my mr stripey in a 18 gallon container. I was wondering if I can put my two early girls in my other 18 gallon container or would that be asking too much of that container?

The picture I'm sending is what the soil mix in the 18 gallon container looks like.

Comments (12)