SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hmknepp

Rain Barrels

hmknepp
16 years ago

I just wanted to pass on a deal I found and ask a question -

I had been doing research about rain barrels because of the runoff from my patio cover, and ended up making my own with moderate success. Two days later, I found a woman off of craigslist in Marion who makes them from recycled food grade 55 gallon black barrels and sells them for only $45 (with delivery in the San Antonio area) which was way cheaper than I found them elsewhere. They look a lot better than the ones I made and seem sturdier. I bought 3 and they filled last week when we got buckets of rain here. I'm watering all the patio plants and my hanging baskets this summer from these, I hope. Anyway, I think her ad is still up on craigslist, if anyone was looking for cheap rain barrels. I have her phone number, too - so if you want it, let me know.

My QUESTION is - anyone who uses rain barrels - what do you use to keep out the mosquitos? I bought some pesticide concentrate that is for birdbaths, but I'm kind of wary of using anything like that, especially in my goldfish container pond, even though it says its safe for fish. Anyone have any better alternatives?

Comments (14)