SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dirtgirl_wt

mystery stick nest has me stumped

dirtgirl
18 years ago

Ok I'm open to suggestion here. Whatever it is that has constructed the stick nest in our front yard has managed to keep itself perfectly hidden, no sign of activity whatsoever.

Here's what I can tell you without the benefit of a photo:

It's:

--close to the house, less than 60 yards, and right over the driveway so the commotion of two humans coming and going doesn't seem to be a factor.

-- in the main fork of a large oak tree, less than 25 feet up.

--A big thing, roughly the size of a large squirrel nest, only not a leaf in sight.

--made of rather hefty sticks, similar to the kind that you might see in a crow's nest

--it's not flat in appearance but rather round, and quite deep.

I hate to admit it but my husband noticed it first and had to point it out to me, the one who lives in the yard. Initially I thought it was just a ball of debris where several small limbs had gotten wedged during the run of storms we have had, but upon closer inspection I agree with him...something put it there.

The owls are already fledged, the crows are already nested (and are not crazy about human visitors anyway so that's out) and I think kestrels are supposed to be cavity dwellers....so I am wondering what we have going on here and when I will finally see something coming and going.

If it's just the squirrels then rthis would be the first time those little suckers ever threw a nest together in this yard and omitted the leaves!

Comments (11)