SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rozaholik

Has our robin abandoned the nest with tiny chicks?

rozaholik
14 years ago

For the first time that I've seen, we have a robin's nest in our pear tree, about 20 feet away from our house. I can see the nest from our kitchen window at a 45 degree angle (a straight-in view of the nest from the bathroom window is obscured by a couple of branches). I've observed the nest being attended regularly for a couple of weeks, and had to weed in the area near the tree so I think they got used to my presence. They would often stay on the nest while I was nearby quietly weeding or watering below.

Finally I saw 3 little beaks peeking out a few days ago. Yesterday I saw one of the parents (I can't tell male from female) feeding them in the early afternoon.

Yesterday evening, I was watering the back garden by hand and heard one of the robins screetching loudly and sitting on the edge of our roof looking down over the nest site. I saw another, larger darker colored bird fly away from the area (white stripe across the tail maybe, possibly a blue jay?). The robin screetched for several minutes then stopped. It was getting dark so I could not see if they robin returned to the nest after that.

Today, I was watching the nest from the kitchen window again in the early afternoon, and saw a robin bobbing along the ground searching for worms (I guess), but after watching for almost an hour I did not see any of the parents attend the nest at all. I saw a smaller brown bird approach the nest, so I opened the window and scared it away with a shout. While watching today I've only seen one tiny head and beak peeking up, mouth open, waiting to be fed.

Since I cannot see INTO the nest, only from the side, I cannot tell if the other chicks are still alive.

I thought also thought I heard a WHOO sound a few nights ago in the back maple tree, though I have not visually confirmed the presence of an owl.

If a chick was killed or stolen from the nest, with the parents return to care for the survivor(s)?

Or do they just move along to another brood and abandon the survivor(s) if their nest sight security is compromised?

This is my first nest observation in 10 years living in the suburbs, so any help in this mystery is appreciated.

I'm a little afraid of getting a ladder to look closer into the nest, but I feel bad for the little beak peeking up looking or food.

What should I do?

Comments (8)