SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kkelley_gw

Calling all Hill Country Gardeners!

kkelley
16 years ago

First I just want to say hello, and thank all of you who contribute so much to this forum. My DH and I are moving to the Highland Lakes area of the Hill Country this summer, so I have been lurking here occasionally to see what I could learn.

Some of what I've learned so far:

* The soil is sweet, and poor. Limerock is just below the surface. Adding organic material is crucial for most plants.

* There are a lot of spiders!

* Texas gardeners, at least the ones here on GW, seem to have a great respect for their native plants. That makes me happy!

* Water is expensive.

* Fall and Spring really are the best times to plant anything in Texas.

* Summer is brutally hot. (Though I don't know if they can beat North Florida summers...)

These things are important for me to know, because I have always made my living as a gardener. Moving to a new place is always tricky if you don't know anyone, so I am just hoping there is some need for gardeners in the Hill Country...? Otherwise I guess I'll be flipping burgers at the local McD's, LOL! Oh yeah, and I am a certified landscape designer and horticulturist, too, if that makes a difference. But getting work as a designer is even harder than finding good jobs as a gardener, unless you have established yourself in an area for a while, or work for someone else. Sigh.

Anyway, there are a few questions I hope you can answer for me:

* What kind of mulch do you favor? Here in N. FL we use a lot of pine straw, which is abundant and inexpensive. We use some wood mulches, but I try to lead people away from using cypress mulch.

* What are the worst WEEDS you have to deal with? Here on the coast the worst are nutgrass and dollar weed, and my personal favorite (not), poison ivy.

* Is it the norm to install an irrigation system with every new landscape?

* Is it the norm to scrape acres and acres clear of every living thing when new subdivisions go in, or is there some respect for existing vegetation?

Lots of questions, I know. I'm trying to determine ahead of time what kind of 'fit' I'll be to the area. I will be trying to get in with the Master Gardeners, having been with that program since 1989. In FL we have a great program called FL Yards and Neighborhoods. It educates homeowners about the value of using natives in the landscape, providing food and shelter for wildlife, controlling runoff, and conserving water. Sounds like you Texas gardeners are pretty much up on all that!

Sorry this is so long... I am anxious to get to know you all and hope I'll get some responses! Now, I am going out to buy a pick for that good ol' Texas limerock. It sure will be different from digging in sand...!!

Kay

Comments (12)