SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
catherinet11

Dang! The Beavers are Back!

catherinet
18 years ago

Hi all,

We live on a good-sized piece of land with a very large creek meandering through the middle of it. Several years ago, we had soooooo much trouble and damage from beavers. But it's such a philosophical dilemma! I love beavers. That are magnificent animals. But what to do????? For several years, my husband spent his weekends tearing down their dams and trying to scare them off. I spent alot of time protecting hundreds of trees along the banks with chicken wire fencing. They finally left several years ago, but today we found freshly chewed down trees again.

Nothing seems to work in scaring them off. Maybe there's been some new invention that I haven't heard of? Maybe one of those ultrasonic noise makers? (but we'd need a few dozen!). Darn. I hate these dilemmas. They even started coming up the banks and chewing down trees in our yard a few years ago. We don't let our dog run loose....but maybe we could borrow the neighbors??

Any suggestions? (And moving them isn't an option. It's over $500 per animal, and they just move them somewhere where they become someone else's problem). And we're not into killing.....so that's not an option.

Hopefully, they're just passing through. I guess I can't blame them. I love living here too!

Comments (11)