SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
papasmithnc_gw

Beaver Blades - Impressions

papasmithnc
17 years ago

This forum has been very helpful to me, I thought if I had any good information to share, I need to do it so here goes.

I just got through using the beaver blade today for my new Echo SRN 400U brushcutter. I had read a couple of recommendations from members on this site and another site and based on those decided to purchase not one, but two 9 inch blades. In case you don't know what a Beaver Blade is, it is a brush and small tree cutting attachment that fits on a brushcutter and uses something very similar to chainsaw chain for the cutting edge.

Anyway, I lit into a stump about 4 inches in diameter and was thrilled at how well it worked. The chain steadily cut the stump down in less than a minute. However, my joy quickly abated as I continued to cut small saplings up to 2 inches in diameter and watched as the effectiveness of the Beaver Blade rapidly diminish. In less than 15 minutes, or about 30 saplings at the most, the blade was dull and nearly useless spitting out dust instead of chips. Let me add here that I am very experienced in using a brush cutter with a blade attachment. In addition, I did not hit the ground or any object that I thought would dull the Beaver Blade unnecessarily. The trees were mostly Sweet Gum, a few Poplar and a couple of Pines. At nearly $85.00 for two with the shipping, I am one unhappy customer. I wonder sometimes if some companies have representatives come to these sites appearing as regular users but are just looking for an opportunity to plug their product. I am sorry, but this thing just didn't work for me.

Does anybody have another similar blade to recommend that might be better?

Comments (8)