SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
budbackeast

Nutsedge Warrior!

budbackeast
12 years ago

Greetings to all the good folks posting about the evil grass named nutsedge.

When I bought my house 13 years ago, the yard was ruined by nutsedge. I am certain that I had at least four different varieties.

I've tried every poison and every trick in the book. Nothing really eliminated then all, although the Ortho and the Bayer products seemed to eliminate two varieties. All that was accomplished by these chemicals was to give the most evil varieties less competition. My yard was ruined.

So I did what every respectable American lawn guy would do. I went to war. I started in a corner of the property and just started digging, using a small hand tool to avoid injuring the cables and wires that criss cross my yard. I dug down as far as two feet to insure that I got every piece and every nutlet. It took almost a year of constant effort, but I got the whole yard done.

Of course, pieces were missed, but the dirt, having been tilled and sifted so thoroughly, was loose, making it easy to take on anything which reared its head. A second year, and the problem was solved, and that was a decade ago.

But on the other side of my driveway, there was no divider to keep these beasts fromcreeping in from my neighbor's yard, overtaking my strip of land. It is here tha I have used the poisons to little avail.

But a wonderful thing happened last fall - the owner moved away. It was abandoned! Hooray for the recession! I immediately took on his whole yard, killing it once per month with RoundUp. I did that for six months.

The nutsedge is exhausted, but still alive.

With nobody to stop me, I began digging and digging. I am half way finished with my own property...

As you can see, I tear out a section, then plant fresh plugs. This is how it looked at sunset today. In a month, I'll be done with my property, and will push the project about ten feet into the other yard. At that point, I will take the most evil soil-burning poisons on the market and will nuke the rest of his yard. Digging lets me win all the battles. Liquid death will let me win the war.

There are several 'extended control', total kill type of products out there. I plan to use them all. This is Florida, where poisons that supposedly last a full year actually leech from the sandy soil in about four months. So late in the summer, I will be able to plant plugs of good grass in his yard which will be free to thrive.

Yes, my diabolical plan is not environmentally friendly, but this is nutsedge. Sissies should not do battle with this evil weed. But if you want to really win the war with this pest, you need to man up and dig down. Kill kill KILL!

If you are a Buddhist, maybe you can learn to live with the nutsedge. But for us manicured lawn loving folks, do what you have to do to win.

I shall prevail.

Comments (19)