SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brenda_in_tx

Newby to forum and would like advice/suggestions

brenda_in_tx
16 years ago

Hello - my name is Brenda and I've been lurking for the past few weeks. I've been active at other forums here - more recently the Kitchen Table and in the past, the Rose Gallery and the Photography Forum (I use to go by ladyfingers).

We moved to our current home 2 1/2 years ago and while the backyard has some nice landscaping, I would like to expand. At our former home where we lived for 20 years, I had a very small backyard and my husband dug flower beds for me that went around the perimeter of the fence. I want to do something similar at my current home.

After we made those flower beds, it seems I read somewhere that the ideal way to do new flower beds is to dig them in the fall, use layers of newspaper with good dirt/compost on top and let the beds 'cook' throughout the fall/winter and then start planting in the spring. My other garden was 90% roses with perennials mixed in. While I want a few roses in my new garden, I don't want as many with the majority being native perennials.

Do any of you gardners have any advice as to how to prepare the beds? I'm going to try and attach a link to my PBase site that has pictures of my other garden to give you an idea where I'm wanting to go with this.

TIA for any help and advice, and I enjoy all the posts here.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Wheatfield Garden

Comments (16)