SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
claire25_gw

Viburnum or Aronia for Bird Attracting?

claire25
12 years ago

Hi all,

I am trying to decide between planting several Viburnum or Aronia as shrubs near several dogwooods on my property. Specifically, I like Viburnum nudum for its glossy leaves, Viburnum dentatum for its leaf shape, and Aronia arbutifolia for its bright red berries. All have great fall color, set quantities of berries, and I think would work well aesthetically in this shrub border area by my dogwoods that I'm planning...I only have room for three shrubs here, though, and I'd like to keep to the same species if possible.

So, which one is my best pick? I am primarily interested in attracting birds, but fall color/landscape value matters to me, too. By the way, the area in question receives full sun and has very sandy soil, but is near one of my flower beds so I keep it well watered in dry spells.

P.S. I have three Crabapples ('Donald Wyman') planted in my front yard as well, also for the purpose of providing food for birds, but though they set copious quantities of fruit, I never see any birds eating it! In fact, the fruit just hangs on the trees all winter til it dries up and falls off in the spring. Are birds just not particular fans of crabapples??

Thanks...I'm pretty new to gardening for wildlife, and I appreciate all your help.

Claire

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz