SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nordfyr315

Best Varieties for Guerilla Gardening?

nordfyr315
12 years ago

Next year I am going to start planting in unused spaces around my city. My goal is to provide free produce to the public and/or indigent or at least introduce the concept of making use of unused space. I noticed in Iraq that a lot of work was put into making a tiny plot as arable as the many spaces in NY where weeds grow in abandoned lots/etc. It made me think of the wasted potential of usable land in a society where it is cheaper to order off McD's dollar menu than eat healthy. So anyway, I know gardeners come from all over the political spectrum and some are probably rolling their eyes and mumbling "hippy" but whatevs, that was just the longwinded prelude to my question.....

I am looking for a variety that is early, tends to self seed, is obscenely productive and is resistant to as many environmental stresses as possible. I do not plan on watering them ever or really doing anything for them once I place the seeds. In fact my first idea is simply to collect cherry tomatoes from plants in my garden and let them hang out until Oct-Nov and then throw the dessicated/moldy fruits into the plot where I intend for them to grow. I am not growing any cherries this year so I may just do something similar with a box of grocery store fruits. Would be especially fun to do it with Kumato but I think cherries are more suited to the purpose. So far my candidates are Ildi and Red Currant. Any other suggestions?

Comments (12)