SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jcheckers

Heirlooms Vs. Hybrids?

jcheckers
13 years ago

Hello gardeners,

I'm a newbee here, joined on Fri. but not new to gardening, been at it for 30 some years. I see on the tomato forum that many members are enamored to the heirloom varieties, especially the Brandywines. My question is: is there anyone except me who grows and enjoys some of my favorite hybrids ie. Better Boy, Superfantastic, and a new found favorite the last 3 seasons, 4th of July? Don't get me wrong, I'm not doggin' the heirlooms in fact I admit that this year I have 2 each of Mule Team, Hillbilly, Mortgage Lifter and Homestead. This is my first year for the heirlooms and am looking forward to seeing what kind of production, taste and DTM,and will definately be saving seed on the ones I like for next year. The Brandywines supposedly are the best tasting tomato ever, is thier taste sweet and mild, or bold and acidic? My personal preference is a tomato so acidic that it will almost make your jaw aike! That is what I get with the Better Boys and Superfantastics, and most seasons have ripe tomatoes by July 4th and continue to produce right up till the 1st frost in early Nov.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting