SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
morgan_scott82

How far along should I be?

morgan_scott82
15 years ago

This is my first year growing tomatoes and as such I lack a real frame of reference. I'm growing 4 cultivars: Brandywine, Early Girl, Roma and Jelly Bean. The Roma's and Brandywine were started from seed February 22, and the others a week later in Zone 8. They sprouted mostly in the early march. My plants have suffered two major blows in my area we've had an especially cold spring, frosts as late as april, and also I lacked the time and containers to properly pot them all up as they grew.

Consequently my tomatoes grew very very leggy, and I'm fearing for my harvest. I potted up to their final pots and hardened off my first roma's in mid may, and I wrote off most of the brandywines as a lost cause at that point because they were so leggy and it was looking like a truncated growing season which won't due for the long to harvest Brandywines. I've been so busy I'm just getting around to potting up and hardening off my Early Girls and Jelly Beans now.

I guess I'm curious how far behind I am and if I can expect any fruit this year? My largest roma is maybe 12" tall with a 1/4" thick stem and I haven't even seen the start of buds of blossoms yet. My Early girls have all toppled over on themselves and grown like runners over my starter trays. I've trench planted them and am keeping my fingers crossed, but would love to hear from the voice of experience: how screwed am I?

Comments (7)