SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stefanb8

Parma more tender than I thought/Marie Louise source?

stefanb8
18 years ago

Well, with two nights in a row of hard frost (28F/-2.2°C) I noticed my otherwise lush and gorgeous 'Feline' looking droopy from the freezing weather (it perked up again as the day warmed, however). It would appear that it could not survive a winter outdoors here in Washington, DC, but I vividly recall the small 'Marie Louise' I had back in Minnesota and its brave survival of temperatures all the way down to near zero Fahrenheit before snow buried it (it died over the winter, but clearly it was hardier than 'Feline' and therefore probably 'Violette de Toulouse'). It would seem that perhaps not all Parmas are created equal, and maybe it was even some hybrid with a hardier species - unless the nursery was selling counterfeit double odoratas instead, but I recall that the bloom matched the descriptions and pictures exactly. Unfortunately I'm not sure there is still a source for 'Marie Louise' here in the U.S., which is curious, since it seemed to be the most commonly available just a few years back. Has anyone an idea of where to acquire one? I can see just how easily such a violet could slip completely out of cultivation and wouldn't mind starting a collection just in case.

Thanks for the help,

Stefan

Comments (8)

Sponsored