SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mseifert_gw

Grass choking blueberries, strawberries, etc.

mseifert
10 years ago

I have grass weeds choking my 70' x 70' organic garden. My beds are raised except for the blueberries and fruit trees. I've tried cardboard, newspaper etc. The problem is that each year I have used manure to fertilize and and straw for mulch - there must be a lot grass seed in both and in the end it looks like I've been planting grass.

Some questions:
The horse and sheep manure has been free (compost is not easy with my 8' snowy winters). Anyone else use manure? Do you have grass seed issues with it and what do you do?

I am looking to get a chipper and replace the straw with wood chips (cedar, hemlock, pine). I'd like to put down weed cloth and cover everything with chips. Good idea? Will the chips be OK for vegetables, fruit trees, blueberries, etc?

The blueberries, strawberries, and asparagus in particular are sooo hard to weed the grass out of. I don't have endless hours. I'm thinking of starting over with the strawberries, but the blueberries and trees needs a solution. The grass is so intermingled with the roots of the blueberries. I'll need to tear apart the ground around the very multi-branched stems (with some new blueberry shoots). I'm concerned it will harm the roots and kill the shoots. Thoughts? Ideas?

I was gone for much of last summer and the grass took over. I'm pretty overwhelmed. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor