SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
texasbet

ID mystery plant

texasbet
17 years ago

I planted something in my flower bed 3 or 4 yers ago, and I thought it had died. It didn't come back after the first year. This year, it re-appeared, but I can't remember what it is. Does anyone know?

Comments (54)

• texasbet
    Original Author
    17 years ago

This granny *certainly* did not plant pot there! I thought cannabis had skinnier leaves...no? If I can't positively ID this, I guess I'll destroy it. Shucks....

• bossjim1
    17 years ago

If it's not a hardy hibiscus, I'd guess mulberry.
    Jim

• Related Discussions

please id my mystery plant

Q

Comments (12)
    I wouldn't put it in a smaller pot, just better soil. With a good quality growing media you can have the plant growing in any size container. If you don't want to start from scratch go buy a small bag of potting mix and bag twice as big of orchid mix that is wood chip, charcoal, lava, that sorta stuff and mix them together, you want it 1 part soil, 2 parts orchid mix. You can build a better growing media but this should work fine. What you're trying to do is have a mix that you can pour water through the pot and it will drain through and not leave it soggy. Water it again when the soil feels barely damp but don't let it dry out completely, You'll get familiar with it after a while and just know when it needs it, it isn't as complicated as I make it sound. You could also grow it in passive or semi-hydro using Leca or long fiber sphagnum moss and then you'd keep it sitting in a couple of inches of water all the time and just change out the water every three or four weeks.
    ...See More

new yard Plant ID - Mystery Plant 1

Q

Comments (3)
    I looked up images online and I think it may be a Euonymus at least, though I think it may be a groundcover variety considering how little it is (and that I know it's been a couple years since anyone planted anything in this yard!) Thank you!!
    ...See More

Need ID to Mysterious Plant

Q

Comments (5)
    yes.. pokeweed ... poisonous unless properly researched.. do not eat it roots that make horseradish look tame ... check out the link thoroughly and completely invasive due to the two bazillion seed it will produce... any piece of root left in the ground.. will resprout.. round up 100% on the cut stalk should do it.. repeat if necessary ... get rid of it immediately.. or you will live to regret it.. if it doesnt sneak in and kill you in the night.. lol ken Here is a link that might be useful: link
    ...See More

ID on mystery plants

Q

Comments (12)
    #8 is a mulberry, ( Morus ) ( birds ).#9 looks like sumac , (Rhus ).. #5 Euonymus. #6 possibly buckthorn , ( Rhamnus ) . 1 , 3 , and 4 look like something nice,maybe ornamental .
    ...See More
  • bo_berrin
    17 years ago

Oops--Omar already called it! Is there something you want to tell us, Betty? ;-)

Seriously, could it be Rose of Sharon?

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

I had something like that coming up and it turned out to be giant ragweed.I thought it was a Mulberry at first too. It's easy to pull up. Cannabis has 5 pointed star shaped leaves. It's not Cannabis! You jokesters! PJ

Here is a link that might be useful:

• texasbet
    Original Author
    17 years ago

See now you guys, you shouldn't tease an aging blonde. ;0) I didn't think it looked like cananbis. I don't think it's ragweed. It has a really woody stem, and the leaves are really a little bit lighter in color than they look in the photo. I'm going to check out mulberry. I suppose it's possible that what I intentionally planted really did die, and this is a volunteer something or other. It looks vaguely familiar, though.

• mikeandbarb
    17 years ago

I don't know what it is but looking at it I'm wondering if it might be a tree? Doesn't look like rag weed, leaves not the same.
    I'd let it hang around for a while to see if it puts on buds if not and you don't like it dig it up.
    These guy's will do anything for entertainment LOL and to get back at us gal's for ganging up on them.

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

It does look like a tree. I think a bird or squirrel gave it to you

• melvalena
    17 years ago

I swear! You people are MEAN! :)

And don't know nothing 'bout grownin pot.
    The stems would still be green, not woody at this stage.

• sally2_gw
    17 years ago

It's a mulberry. Get rid of it asap, if you can.

It looks nothing like cannabis to me.

Sally

Here is a link that might be useful: Comparisan picture

• necia
    17 years ago

I'm going to second the Mulberry id. It really looks like a tree seedling.

Necia

• texasbet
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Okay, so I'm going to be difficult. I don't know of anyone nearby with a mulberry. There are elms all over the place, but mulberry...nope. There are hardly any squirrels in the area, but there are lots of birds. It could have gotten there from a bird, I suppose, if it is a mulberry. I googled some photos and to me, it just doesn't look quite the same as a mulberry. I'm hanging onto it for the time being to see what develops. If it turns out to be something I don't want, I'll just yank it up later.
    I still have a feeling it might be what I planted there. Thanks so much for all the replies.

• bossjim1
    17 years ago

Bettydee, if you'll post the picture over on the "Name That Plant" forum, I'd nearly guarantee you one of those folks will identify it for you. They really know their stuff over there. Good luck,
    Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Name That Plant

• texasbet
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you Jim!

• little_dani
    17 years ago

Definitely a mulberry. ABSOLUTELY a mulberry! I am ripping them out of my yard as we speak!

It doesn't matter that nobody has a tree around you, the birds bring them.

Janie

• srburk
    17 years ago

My neighbor has a mulberry...I have mulberry seedlings all over the place....that does not resemble a mulberry to me.

Maybe a type of abutilon? (Also called a flowering maple?)

• melvalena
    17 years ago

I've gone and looked at one of my hardy hibiscus that's leafed out.. they aren't the same.

• carla morey
    17 years ago

Up until last fall, I had a fruitless Mulberry tree in my backyard. Now I have something coming up near the front of my house that looks identical (or very nearly identical) to your photo ... makes me think the Mulberry is haunting me. I will be chopping it down tonight, now that I know what it is. Be gone, Trash Tree!

Carla

• texasbet
    Original Author
    17 years ago

BINGO! A friend identified it for me. It is a bleeding heart, and indeed since she mentioned it, I *do* remember buying a bleeding heart for this shady spot. Yea! Mystery solved. Thanks to all who posted and searched for me!

• melvalena
    17 years ago

here's a photo I found

Here is a link that might be useful:

• texasbet
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yes, that's it, most definitely. Thanks for the link.

• mikeandbarb
    17 years ago

I just got a bleeding heart last week, love the plant.
    Now that you know what it is I want to see pictures when it flowers :) Please

• denisew
    17 years ago

Just so we all know what the leaves of pot look like . . . I'm ignoring the article, but the photo here is what's important so we know.

Here is a link that might be useful: Picture of Cannabis

• melvalena
    17 years ago

Now I know why!

Hubby 'helps' me by pulling up all these 'tree seedlings'.

• texasbet
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sure, I'll post photos when it blooms. I found a good close up of the foliage, in case anyone is interested.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bleeding heart foliage

• srburk
    17 years ago

Oooo, now I'm jealous. I want one of those, but they don't care so much for zone 9..........

• carrie751
    17 years ago

I hope it is a bleeding heart, bettydee, but the foliage doesn't look the same to me. Please post photos when it blooms - all of mine died.

• little_dani
    17 years ago

Well, o.k., if y'all think it is a bleeding heart. It don't look like my bleeding heart.

It does look exactly like the mulberry trees in my flower beds.

Please do post pics when it blooms.

Janie

• texasbet
    Original Author
    17 years ago

LOL! I DO think it's a bleeding heart. The foliage might not look *exactly* like the one in the link, but the foliage in the link isn't taken quite as close up, either. Mine looks just like that from about the same distance. Maybe you have a different variety? I dunno. Anyway, I know I bought one, and now that somebody mentioned a bleeding heart to me, I remember now that's where I planted it. The blooms will tell. ;0)

• bo_berrin
    17 years ago

Well, Omar and I are in the clear, having been absolved by Sally's and Denise's links--we're obviously not partakers. But MELVALENA!!! You crazy party animal! How did you know cannibis' growing habits? Nevermind...you don't have to answer that. ;-)

I really hope it IS a bleeding heart. I didn't know we could grow those here! If we can grow bleeding heart, can we grow lily of the valley, too???

• bossjim1
    17 years ago

I was convinced that it was a mulberry, so, I posted it over on the 'Name That Plant' forum. So far two of the people who are very good at identifying plants have responded. See their answers on the attached link.

Melvalena, could you send me some seeds?
    Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Please Help Identify.

• melvalena
    17 years ago

Bo Berrin, (and anyone else who might be wondering..)
    I only know this about MJ plants because the very first house we rented when we moved to Dallas years and years ago had some 'volunteer' plants already growing. (right outside a bedroom window in the very private back yard)

Weeds do not have woodystems until they've been growing for a long while. :)

• texasbet
    Original Author
    17 years ago

HI Jim, I didn't post the photo on that forum after all, because my friend ID'd it for me. I don't want to be hard headed, but I'm quite sure it's a bleeding heart. The friend who ID'd it, along with her husband, owns a farm supply co and nursery, if that makes any difference. Didn't mention it before, because I thought it might sound snooty. I bought it from her in the first place and asked her to come look at it for me. She just glanced and said, "It's a bleeding heart."
    I did look at some mulberry photos, and they just don't look quite the same to me. It's possible that some monitors are throwing color off, or something, because this has light colored leaves, supposedly a hall mark of bleeding hearts, according to some sites I've looked at today.
    At the very least, for the sake of the argument, if it IS a mulberry (and it isn't), it's MY mulberry, and it can stay until I say different. LOL! ;0)

• little_dani
    17 years ago

a short story:

once upon a time a young whippersnapper gave this old lady some seeds that he said he thought were radish seeds or maybe some flower seeds. His exact words.

I had/raised 6 children, I should have known better.

Anyway, I planted them in the flower bed in the back yard. A good friend told me that he thought they might be castor beans, but he was in the know and was messin' with me.

Well the plants grew. (We lived in La Porte, mind you, and I was a member of all kinds of sororities, civic groups, etc.) Anyway,.....

The plants grew and grew. By the time they got about chest high, I had figured out they were not radishes, but I was invested with this growing plants by that time. I had planted the seeds, tended them, nurtured them; I was not about to pull them out, just because they were, ummmmm, illegal.

They got about as high as the house. They were just starting to bud. My mother was coming to visit, and my Mother was a founding member of the Drug Abuse Council at home, and I KNEW SHE WOULD KNOW WHAT IT WAS!

I went out the morning before she was to arrive and ripped them out of the ground. I stuffed them into a big garbage bag and set it out for the trash man, who picked it up about 20 minutes later.

Our young whippersnapper about fainted when he found out it was gone. LOLOLOL!

I SWEAR this is a true story!

Janie

• texasbet
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I LOVE your story, Janie. What a hoot. Thanks for the laugh, and the lesson.

• bossjim1
    17 years ago

"At the very least, for the sake of the argument, if it IS a mulberry (and it isn't), it's MY mulberry, and it can stay until I say different."

Why Bettydee, I never suggested that you should do anything to or with your plant, what ever it is. I was only trying to help you identify your "Mystery" plant, and surely didn't intend to upset you.
    Jim

• bev1951
    17 years ago

How funny !! The same thing happened to my Mom ( not me, I'd already moved out by then !!!!) my brother had some stuff growing in a container out by the carport. A state cop lived about 2 houses down & one day he stopped & asked Mom if she knew what that was & of course she didn't & said Burl has taken an interest in gardening & is starting some seeds for the flowerbeds. When he told her what it was she hit the ceiling & the kid was grounded for months. He was probably 14 & that was his last spanking. I come from a very small town & you're either a blood relative or a relative by marriage so the problem was solved without alot of fuss. That was about 40 yrs ago. I doubt it would happen like that today. Bev

• natvtxn
    17 years ago

LOL!

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

OMG Texans are a big,brass lot!!! LOL!PJ

• melvalena
    17 years ago

PJ I know people in Calif who do the same things. I could tell you a story... PTA mom, big time high society charity fund raiser and the fundraiser parties at her home...and her 'gardens'.

LOL.

• little_dani
    17 years ago

Now, PJ, what does that mean? is that a CA term? Does it mean something unfavorable, derogatory, or WHAT?

Or should I just not ask? DD tells me that all the time....."You don't really want to know, Mom."

LOL

Janie

• jakizzle63
    17 years ago

for al lthose that thought it even resempledcannabis at all you aint to smart, no offence but it looks almost nothing like weed. this looks like a buisy forum so ill jump in, a friend of mine who is one of the biggest potheads around di something like that he has asked me many times to put the plants in my green house but i turned him down but he had probly 10-12 plants. when he went away to college he had his mom water and tend to them, she even re potted them. he told her they were yound trees and would give fruit, his dad eventually found them and killed them all and he wasnt allowed to have any plants in his room again

jake

• lucykay
    16 years ago

It's a mulberry! I pull them up all the time. Its the old time fruited type. the birds deliver them. get rid of them.Birds just love to drop the purple poop on white pick-ups. Yuk

• proper_gait
    16 years ago

Looks like bettydee will be in denial until she's (a)picking berries off her Dicentra or (b) Her Dicentra grows over 10ft tall! I vote option (b).

• Vulture61
    16 years ago

Hmmmm.... bettydee, dear, would you please let us know how tall is your Cannabis dicentra "Mulberry tree" now? Has it bloomed for you? Would it be a Cannabis tree (what a thought!!)? Please advise.

Omar

• littlekinder
    15 years ago

This is an old post but it caught my eye because the same thing has come up in my yard. Mine is larger - I thought it was some kind of tree and hadn't gotten around to pulling it...

Did you ever find out what yours was??? Mine has to come out since it is growing about 2 inches from the neighbor's foundation...

Or does anyone else know what this is?

• Vulture61
    15 years ago

Inmates do not have access to internet, do they? Or.. Bettydee is too busy making jelly out of her Dicentra tree.
    LMAO!!

Omar

• spishack01
    15 years ago

It's not pot...

• prairiepaintbrush
    15 years ago

Shoot, when did it turn into a dicentra?!? I vote for Mulberry. Where did she go? We need to know what happened!!!

PJ, what is a big, brass lot? That sounds veddy British.

• littlekinder
    15 years ago

Guess bettydee isn't around. I sure would like to know what that is, since I have more than one. You can tell it's not pot, the leaves aren't right at all - I've seen enough tattoos and tshirt pics alone of pot leaves to know they are skinny with five (?) separations...Bettydee's plant looks like mulberry to me, too... but I wish she could tell us what has become of it.