SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gtnate

How to use Fish Emulsion

GTNate
12 years ago

I bought fish emulsion fertilizer this year as a recommendation from a friend, and am wondering how to properly use the stuff for my tomatoes. I understand that I must dilute the emulsion according to the instructions on the container, but once I have the liquid fertilizer, how should I apply it to the plants?

I have read some places that I should actually pour the liquid over the plants, drenching the leaves. I would like to know if this is correct, as I have also read that you want to avoid getting the leaves of your tomato plants wet.

And another question, should I add fish emulsion throughout the growing season? I have read that this is the case. However, I have also read that too much N will give you big green plants with no fruit. Since the makeup of the fish emulsion is 5-1-1, I wonder if I should only apply it once or twice at the beginning of the season (along with a more balanced fertilizer), and then go with only the more balanced fertilizer once the blossoms and fruit start to come on.

One other thing, does any of this change for tomatoes in containers vs those in the ground?

Thanks for any advice.

Comments (29)