SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
briana_2006

worm composting vs naturemill composting

17 years ago

Hello -

I am new to the idea of composting and unfortunately I haven't had the time to look at past postings in this forum in detail.

I am curious to know if anyone has used an instrument like the one at naturemill.com to do composting. This machine is supposed to use microbial action at elevated heat (constant 140 F) with constant air mixing to reduce all types of material into compost. -- Even material like peanut shells that I have just read in this forum worms will not be able to do.

With the limited amount of research I have done into worm composting it seems that worm composting produces a higher quality compost than the machine at nature mill would be expected to do and certainly worm composting would be cheaper -- as the initial cost of the naturemill is ~ $500.

I have read that worm composting in part makes organics more available to the bacteria that continue the composting and changes the organics in a chemically beneficial way.

However, I am concerned that if I try the worms (bringing the bin into the basement for winter) - I might experience some worms escaping -- which would not make my wife happy and I am also concerned about how much work it takes to keep them alive/happy --- ie keeping the bedding at the appropriate moisture level etc.

On the other hand the nature mill would be easier in that I wouldn't have those worries and it seems it can degrade nut shells etc. But I don't want to waste the money if the final compost is inferior. However, if the quality of the nature mill compost was not radically different from the worm compost and my plants would benefit and I can reduce landfill waste it seems like this may be the route for me.

Any advice on the naturemill machine or its equivalent or if I am too worried about the worm composting and it isn't that difficult to for example keep the worms in the bin will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Brian

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County