SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sandlapper_rose

new: OBF for Oct. - The Secret Haunted Garden

sandlapper_rose
15 years ago

Our Bloomin' Friends October Swap

Things are mighty scarey out in the garden in October. Beware!

Our Bloomin Friends Swap Group was created to have a reliable, fair, and safe haven to swap and trade between the group members. If you care to join us, please e-mail veeja/carol to find our about membership .

Send plants in Halloween colors - Ghostly White, Batty Black, or Phantom Pumpkin-Orange, or plants with names related to Halloween, or fall items from your Secret Haunted Garden - mini-pumpkins or gourds, jelly or jams that you have made, pumpkin bread, etc. (For those where it is too late to send plants, seeds and bulbs are just fine, too.)

So include a nice plant or some bulbs or several packets of seeds using the appropriate theme and let's include a food treat and a Fall or Halloween decoating item in each package, too. The decoration can be for the garden, front porch, indoors, or anywhere. Nothing has to be expensive. Just share the fun of Fall. (If you are on a diet, please let you pal know not to send a treat that is going to do you in!)

Please post here when you send and receive and use delivery confirmation when you mail your package.

Mail your package by Oct. 14 so it will arrive before Halloween.

I can't wait, I am going to search for some spooky plant names now!!! This is going to be lots of fun!

Jeanne

{{gwi:1300997}}

Comments (77)

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Amy, I will let you know when they get here. I hope to mail out yours this afternoon.
    Jeanne

• mellen
    15 years ago

Amy, You are FAST!!! I just found my seed stash last evening. I did go through them all and found some things for you. Still need to get them packed, etc., but I will get it done soon. Will let you know when I receive. Happy to trade with you!
    Mary Ellen/Mellen

• Related Discussions

NEW: obf: ~~ september... a secret and a story~~

Q

Comments (37)
    Hello all again! Please read the post about 6 messages back. I am unable to do any trading right now or hosting. I sincerely apologize for this, so someone will need to do the November swap also. Once again, I am off work and have been for 2 1/2 weeks and don't know when I will be able to go back. I explained that I hadn't done any of the swaps this year due to health and no money. I hate it, but it's the way it is. I hope to maybe get back in the swing next year but this year I wanted to be put on the back burner and maybe you all will let me back in next year. I apologize as I truly miss the swaps but just not able right now. Thanks and hugs to all, Melinda
    ...See More

NEW: obf october fabulous & fun x four

Q

Comments (144)
    Margo, Sue and Beth Congratulations.....Yeah Margo if you had not picked the number 7 I would have chosen it. It is my favorite number for God created the world in 7 days and it is the symbol of divine perfection. The whole word of God is founded upon the number seven. Beth-Happy to hear you are home and the wedding went well. Melinda-Nice Grandson buying you a computer....Looking forward to our next months swap. Hi Margaret....always so nice to read your posts. I have gotten into succulents and have them all over the house and in my office at work. It has been so much fun finding the right pots to put them in. Can't believe tomorrow is the first day of November...turkey day will be here soon. Shirley
    ...See More

Update: Follow Up - OBF The Secret Haunted Garden

Q

Comments (71)
    Well, I received Margaret's wonderful box today. Thank you Margaret for the wonderful fall items. Margaret sent: A fall motif placemat a light-up pumpkin a scarecrow door hanger another scarecrow figue a pumpkin tealight. 12 apeldorn elite tulip bulbs a cinnamon fern a hot buttered rum candle halloween napkins halloween wind sock hibiscus pattern serving plate and tray Some chocolates that seem to have disappeared but I know they were here :) seeds: aquilegia vulgaris winter squash gourmet pepper Thanks so much, Margaret, I hope things have settled down for you and that life is treating you well. I'm glad you have joined our group! Hope everyone is having a comforting, enjoyable autumn. Things have turned cool here for now. We are having temps in the 30's tonight as well. Stay warm. Theresa
    ...See More

UPDATE: obf dec. shhhh.... secret santa #2

Q

Comments (23)
    Morning All!! Is everyone finished shopping? I'm all finished & everything is wrapped & waiting.They get to open one tonight after dinner,so they keep looking under the tree,trying to decide which one to choose. What's really great is they don't know about the ones in my closet!I'll bring those out AFTER they open the one tonight.LOL! I'm evil I know!Their uncle sent them cash,so the 2 oldest bought Heeleys.Pray that we don't spend Christmas in ER with cracked anything... We are making them wear their helments,but that doesn't protect the limbs!!! Guess I'll bake something sweet later on. My grandparents are coming from Alabama the day AFTER Christmas,so that's when we will have our big dinner.Pretty much the same menu as Thanksgiving. Maryanne & Bunny ~ glad your prizes made it safe & sound AND before Christmas! Dianne~feel better soon! Post your goodie box when you can.No rush!! All boxes have been sent & received!! later...April
    ...See More
  • sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I thought we might have some fun and list no more than seven of each of the colors we have named for this month's swap: Ghostly White, Batty Black, and Phantom Pumpkin-Orange. Pick your very favorites of each of these colors that are growing in your garden!!!
    You can also post a picture and tell why you especially like the plant if you like. I am eager to see what everyone else's favorites are!

Here are my seven for the color WHITE:

Roses
    Gourmet Popcorn - Considered a miniature rose because of the size of the flowers. The bush in my garden is above waist high. It blooms so much that I have it in my tropical garden. Does not seem to be bothered by foliage diseases and the only insect damage I have ever seen on it is from Japanese beetles.
    {{gwi:1274939}}

Kronprinzessin Viktoria - not in bloom as frequently but it has beautiful blossoms when it does bloom and is also a very low maintenance rose. It is a Bourbon rose developed in the late 1800's and is a creamy white with lemon colored centers.

Rose of Sharon - White Chiffon - I saw this in an old garden surrounding a private school that had been restored and was totally hooked on this I searched online until I could fine a place that sold them. Even though it was in a small pot for a few months, this little (about 15" when it arrived - with blossoms on it I might add) shrub was nearly always in bloom and I love the very full double flowers that it produces. Very different from the regular Rose of Sharon.

Daylily Gentle Shepard This poor daylily has become very overcrowed by other plants that want to spread, but it did bloom for me this year and has a lovely white flower. I need to clear out some of the other plants and allow it be grow better next year. The picture is from the previous year before it got overrun by other plants.

Ginger - Hidden Ginger I have been growing this for several years in my tropical garden. It grows pretty tall and blooms late in the year... it's blooming now. The flowers are very exotic looking - definitely fits in with the tropical look. I have never seen any type of disease or insects bother this plant and it spreads, but not uncontrolably.

Iris Immortality A reblooming iris. It does not always rebloom for me but blooms reliably ever Spring, which none of my other irises do.

Echinecea White Swan I winter sowed seeds very early in the year and had one plant survive. I sure will plant more seeds this year. This was a beautiful plant. The flower stayed open for what seemed like two months and produced quite a bit of seed so I will add more for 2009.

• nyvoices99
    15 years ago

Hi All,
    Quick check in, to let you kow I need to sit Oct out:( Just got my BB order & have 4600 bulbs to plant, Why? Why do I do this? I need to pay someone to help me, as I have cracked ribs & can't dig, but one way or the other I will get them & the other 500 bulbs in the ground!!

Annie,
    I so wanted to get your box out in time, looks like I might be a few days late, I will let you know when your Sep box goes out.

Off to clean, as it is raining here, so I cant work outside right now, Have a great day all..
    {{gwi:1251066}}

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh, my, Annie, I can't even picture 4,600 bulbs. That is incredible! So, it sounds like your total number to plant is 5,100? Poor thing - and with cracked ribs, too. You are certainly excused! Thanks for letting me know.
    Take care.
    Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm back with my Phantom Pumpkin Orange flowers. I will come up with a list of Black (more likely "almost black".. later.) I hope some will join in and give us your favorties in the three colors.

Anyway, for orange, I don't like the bright orange too well so I tend to get flowers that are more of a peachy shade.
    Orange Nugget (below) may be the only one you think is really orange.

Marigolds - I like the smaller sized ones (are those French Marigolds?) and love to plant them in a circle around a taller plant. The last few years that has been my bay tree. They bloom all summer and don't seem to mind our heat and drought too much.

Canna Bengal Tiger - You will laugh about me with this one because the flowers are orange but I don't like them too much. I do love the variegated leaves and that is the part I enjoy the most.

Pumpkin Pie Spice Daylily This one is very pretty and does well for me.

Crepuscule Rose - more of a yellow-peach color, but I have seen this listed as an orange rose. It grows on the railing of my deck and is so pretty when in bloom. Doesn't show much insect damage or fungal disease.
    {{gwi:1274946}}

Orange Nugget Dahlia - Other than the fact that I never seem to stake this too well - wish it was shorter - this is a happy plant that blooms a lot for me.
    {{gwi:1291867}}

Margo Koster Rose Lovely little rose bush. Sort of a salmon shade. However, I have problem growing this one. I think she likes attention and I admit my roses do not get lots of attention. I hope she will perk back up now that it is fall.

Hot Cocoa Rose I do not usually grow hybird tea roses because they want to be sprayed and pampered more than what I am willing to do. However, this one has gotten by with my small amount of care and the flower color is definetly interesting!

Now this one is not on my favorite list, because I have no luck growing it, but if not for that I would definitely list Oranges 'n' Lemons Rose This did not survive for me any time at all - less than a year, but I think it is one of the prettiest of the orange roses. I love flowers that have muliple colors.

Orange you glad you stopped by to hear my favorties?
    Jeanne

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

Jeanne~ I LOVE the pumpkin pie spice daylily!! That is GORGEOUS! :O) The dahlia is great, too!
    I love the bold colors- orange, red, yellow. My favorite color is pink, but not in the garden so much. LOL I'd rather have bold splashes of color everywhere. Just makes me happy. :O)

I'll try to get some pictures posted later. I've been really busy with my daughter's birthday (which is also mine!). We had a small party yesterday for her, and I made her 2 kitty cat cakes. We decorated with fall leaves & orange candles. Very pretty, unusual mix...and very atumun-y! :O)

Have a great weekend, everyone!
    Melissa

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

A belated Happy Birthday, Melissa!
    So sorry not have have caught on so I could send wishes on the right day. That is so great that you and your daughter share a birthday!
    This little lady and her dog are dancing and singing "Happy Birthday" to you.

Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Amy,
    I received your seeds today. Thanks so much! Has someone sent the bio form to you? If not, I have a copy of it.

Mary Ellen,
    If you will let us know when you receive your seeds from Amy, we will see who give us the word about welcoming her into the group. Carol? Shirley?

I will offer to be Amy's big sister if that is okay. I have never been a big sister! (Now someone may need to tell me what a big sister does...LOL)

Jeanne

• Debra Andruska
    15 years ago

Melissa,

• brittneysgran
    15 years ago

Melissa-Happy Birthday to you and your daughter. How nice that you both have the same Birthday.

Shirley

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Melissa,
    Happy Belated Birthday! Sounds like you had a great time with your daughter and family. Don't forget the cake pics!

Jeanne,
    I have to admit that I don't have much in the way of spooky colored plants compared to other colors. I'm going to have to work on a list.

Anita,
    So many bulbs and cracked ribs?! You are nuts! : ) Please be careful though.
    Have a good day everyone,
    Remy

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

Thank you for the b-day wishes, Girls!

Here's a *bad* picture of the cakes. Aubeni chose the color's for the cats and hubby made the mouse. I think the mouse is the best part of the cakes, honestly! :O)

{{gwi:2104181}}

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Melissa, the cat cakes are so cute! I lke your centerpiece, too, and especially the mouse.
    I'm sure you had a wonderful time.
    Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am back with the last of the colors - Black. Most of these are deep red/wine, deep purple, or deep chocolate. One year I had a gorgeous dahlia that someone sent to me called 'Arabian Nights'- very pretty and very close to black. It did not make it through the winter though. I think I have a picture of it SOMEWHERE on the computer...
    Here are the others:

Chianti Sunflower

Blackie Sweet Potato Vine (on right)

Perilla

Cordyline 'Red Chocolate'

Ornamental Pepper - 'Black Pearl' ?

Coleus - the solid one is 'Palisandra' (I think, will recheck the name) and the dark one with the bright green edges is 'Chocolate Mint'

I hope someone else will share some of their favorite white, orange, or black plants and flowers. You don't have to have pictures. Just share what they are.
    Thanks and enjoy the rest of the weekend.
    Jeanne

• Theresa24 (NeFL9a)
    15 years ago

I would like to play in October. I love fall and they are fun boxes to pack.

Jeanne, I LOVE that Pumpkin Pie Spice Daylily! It is gorgeous!

Happy Belated Birthday Bunny!

Theresa

• mellen
    15 years ago

I received Amy's seed trade. It came yesterday, but "DH" forgot to bring the package inside. I found it today when we went to the pick-up to go on a short trip. She sent 4 o'clocks and 3 varieties of marigolds plus some plant markers and a very nice note. THANKS, Amy!!!

Amy has now fulfilled her "obligations"(lol) to become a memter of OBF! WooHoo!!!

Mary Ellen

• mellen
    15 years ago

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Melissa!!!!! You are loved!

Mary Ellen

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Glad you are joining in, Theresa. I am hoping some of us in the South still have time to trade plants. Gee, it was too hot and dry for me to trade in the summertime when everyone else could trade. (GRIN!!!)
    Jeanne

• margaret_2007
    15 years ago

Hi, Ladies-Looking at this RR and Oct swap looks like fun, Have sent an email about joining. I am familiar with some of you from RR MNF "Petal Pushers" and have traded with a couple of the members here.

Melissa-What a joy to share a birthday with your daughter. Just learned how to use Photobucket from PP site so sending this to you and your daughter. Sorry I didn't know sooner! Hope to be part of this group soon! Blessings, Margaret

• veeja11
    15 years ago

We have two new girls who want to join us, amy and Margaret. could I get two voulenteers to be big sisters ?I think they have both completed two trades with obf members. once they agree to the rules and get big sis's they are in. hugs carol

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

Thanks again for the birthday wishes! I really appreciate them. :O)

Jeanne~ The chianti sunflower is pretty! I love the bold color.
    I don't *think* I have any black flowers in my gardens...but there IS one I'd love to have, if only it would grow in my zone....a BAT LILY!!
    {{gwi:2104187}}
    Isn't that GORGEOUS??! Maybe it could be over wintered inside? I'd give my eye teeth for one! LOL

Carol~ I'll volunteer to be Margaret's big sis, If I can. I think that Jeanne had offered to be Amy's big sis.

I'm off to make yet MORE pumpkin butter, apple butter, apple sauce, apple preserves, apple pie filling, cinnamon apples....if it can be made with apples, I've got to try!! My daddy brought over 4 + bushels of apples & several pumpkins. So I've got to get busy. LOL
    Canning & making preserves will be the "home ec" portion of the kids' homeschooling this week! :O)

• margaret_2007
    15 years ago

Hi, Ladies-Just emailed Carol and told her I accepted the rules. Thanks, Melissa for being my big sister (let me know what that means, would you?) Looking forward to lots of fun and swapping. Blessings, Margaret

Doin' a Happy Dance about being part of this group

• dirt_under_my_nails
    15 years ago

Welcome Amy & Margaret!!!

Jeanne~sent ya an e-mail!

Bunny~ Happy belated Birthday!!How ya hanging in? Counting down the days I bet.Are the other's excited about the new sister coming soon? I remember Taylor telling Brett "Your little world is about to change!" when we told them about Brooke being on the way! She was only 5 1/2 at the time.We still laugh about it.

later....April/dirt

• veeja11
    15 years ago

I need to be kicked for missing my lil sis's bday. sorry bunny, happy belated b-day. please e-mail your new lil sis, also make an official announcement that she is one of us. same for you Jeanne, basically you just offer to help them out with plant and group questions and guarentee their first 3 trades, make the official announcement that they are new members, keep them in hugs. thankyou both for stepping up to do this. Amy I need you to agree to the rules. big hugs carol

• dieg01991
    15 years ago

Hi Carol,
    I sent you an email the other day. Were you going to send me a questionnaire? Is that how I agree to the rules?

Thanks,
    Amy

• skohler
    15 years ago

Gm All Well this ole Bat has Come out To Give a spookie Welcome to all the New Members , &
    say Happy BELATED B_DAY Melisa .

Jeanne This Looks to be a Fun Swap & I do Have a few Spookie Plants That Need to be Shared & if There is anyone out there who would like to swap just plants
    with me I would love to be in this Spooky swap.

Don't take me wrong I love Goodies But My Body Does not need extra Calories :( its getting harder to burn them off at my age :(

well I need to go get dads breakfast & get my day going .
    chat again soon .

susie

Here is a link that might be useful: Muscovy up-date

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

Ladies, let me introduce Miss Margaret!
    Please give her a big OBF welcome! :O)

I hope you have lots of fun here, Margaret!! :O)

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

Miss Margaret~ Please send me an email at: hazelnutbunny@hotmail.com
    You're email isn't listed on your member page & I never seem to be able to get through with the GW message system! Agh! :O)

April~ That is too funny, what Taylor said to Brett! Kids always say it how it is, don't they?? :O) When I had my 3rd, my 2 year old pouted when we showed him the new baby. First, he wasn't "brown" (yeah, let me explain THAT one to my hubby! LOL But he WAS dark tan, the Cherokee really popped out in him) And second...he said he "wanted a kitten instead". We still tease him about that, and he STILL says he would have preferred a kitten. LOL The "brown" baby thing was because our midwife was african-american, and so our 2 year old was fascinated with her skin.
    I can't blame him, brown skin is BEAUTIFUL! :O)
    Ah, but aren't kids FUN??

Okay, off to make more applesauce today. Again! Yay!

Have a great day, ladies!!
    Melissa

• mellen
    15 years ago

Melissa, with all of apples that you are doing have you ever made fruit roll-ups? Hubby did with some apple butter that he made a couple of weeks ago. It is DELICIOUS!
    Mary Ellen/Mellen

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Can you believe tomorrow will be October? Be sure to sign up for this swap by Oct. 5th if you want to be in on the fun! I think I have the list marked appropriately. If I missed anyone, let me know. I will recheck the list carefully before assinging pals just to make sure I didn't mess up!

OUR MEMBER LIST - And those signed up for this swap

Amybabyboy
    Beth_b_Kodiak
    Brittneysgran - yes for October
    Cedarnest
    Debbya - yes for October
    dieg01991 - yes for October
    Dirtundermynails - yes for October
    Earthly Delight
    Hazelnutbunny - yes for October Swap
    Ilovefarac
    lil green thumb
    LLbean
    Lunamoon
    margaret_2007 - ??? (Let me know, Margaret!!!)
    Mellen - Yes for October
    Missg - No for October
    Momcat
    Nyvoices99 - No for October
    Raggedyann
    Remy - yes for October
    Sandlapper Rose - yes for October
    Squanzon - yes for October
    Skohler - yes for October
    Susandonb
    Theresa24 - yes for October
    Veeja11 - yes for October
    Wynative - no for October

Secondly, a big welcome to Amy and Margaret! It will be lots of fun having you in the group.
    {{gwi:2104189}}

Last item - If you are dieting, please give your pal a clue so she will know what to do about whether to include a treat for you in her package. You can do that by e-mail if you would rather not post it here. I will have the pals assigned by Oct. 7th.
    If you have the willpower to pass along a treat to your hubby or children that may be an alternative or feel free to ask for a healthy treat such as an apple or a packet of flavored coffee or something like that.
    I will ask whoever gets my name to keep my treat very little (if something like chocolate... LOL) or send something healthy. Okay? I love McIntosh apples (hint, hint) and the apple and pumpkin butter and things like that sound really yummy, too. I also like those dehydrated apple slices in the bags - whatever those are called. Love pecans, walnuts, etc., too. As you can see, I like it all! The only odd thing with me is that I have discontinued using any type of artificial sweeteners.

Once pals are assigned, I will open a new thread. I suspect this one is loading slowly at this point.
    I love all the participation this month. Seems like a nice big Halloween party!

Jeanne

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

Like I said before, I'm up for ANYTHING! :O) Any treat my partner would like to send will be fine with me. Although, the flavored coffee you mentioned sounds good, Jeanne! LOL I'm freezing here, and have already depleted my supply of tea!
    Mmmmm....Hot apple cider sounds good!! :O)

I will let everyone know that I'm making sugar-free applesauce & sugar free pumpkin butter, if my partner would be interested in that. Oh, and low-sugar blueberry jam as well. Also apples in honey & apples in molasses........
    I've got the full-sugared, full-flavored varieties of everything, too, of course! :O)

And then, I can also send candy, cookies, apples in their natural state or something else entirely....Anything my partner desires!! LOL!
    Um...within reason, of course. I can't be packaging a chocolate dipped construction worker or anything. (sorry gals!)

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

Mellen~ What a great idea! Can you do fruit roll ups in the oven or just the dehydrator? I have a large dehydrator, but don't have the sheet things that cover the trays, so I'm not sure how to do fruit roll ups. Do you think that maybe parchment paper or foil would work?
    Hmmm...I'll have to look!

I HAVE been drying the peels, though. I dip some in cinnamon/sugar and leave the others plain, and dehydrate them. The kids love munching on them during the day. We go through a gallon size zip lock bag in about 30 minutes! LOL

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Hi All,
    Nothing exciting here, just taking a break between dinner and tomatillo salsa canning.

Welcome to our new members Amy and Margaret! : )

Melissa,
    The cakes are cute. I really like the mouse also.

April (and Melissa too),
    My first memory is going to the hospital to get my brother. (He was born premature.) At the time I told he was coming my birthday present so I must of been excited. Though once he was of walking and talking age, I tried to flush him down the toilet, LOL!

Jeanne,
    I didn't grow any dark sunflowers this year. I have to remember to next year. I really love them.

Susie,
    Your ducks are all grown up! I'm glad you could stop by and post. I hope you are not overworking yourself!!
    Talk to you all later,
    Remy

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

Sorry, I better not commit to another swap for October.

Again, Theresa so sorry for the Delay on your Bird box! I got called out again tomorrow morning from 3am - 9am. Thursday I take sis to the doctor, and then Friday I leave in the afternoon again for a job on the road. Return sometime Monday, then Work Tues, Wed. Thursday night. I don't know If I'm coming or going!

I've traded with Margaret, She's a great lady. By the way Margaret I've already fixed the hazelnut coffee you sent. Soooooooo good, and again, thank you!

Susie, I want to let you know I think of you often. I still owe you your Plant ID Tags. HUGS AND LOVE YA

Anita, Thinking of you too, and hope you are feeling better. You know I'm not the least bit worried about the box. GENTLE HUGS TO YOU TO, AND LOVE YA!

LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

Hello to everyone else, and Happy belated Birthday Melissa! I really don't mean to leave anyone out!

LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

• margaret_2007
    15 years ago

Hi, All-Yes, please count me in for October swap. Got an opportunity to do a little shopping today for it & thinking of articles to send. I really like the rule where we send the Hostess a card and small gift. Seems this can be quite a task & am so thankful to you, Melissa for being my big sister will be asking for help I am sure when I hostess. Is there a list out now of who hostesses are for some of the coming months? I really appreciate all the welcomes being sent by members of this group. Makes me feel wanted & we all like that feeling!!! Blessings, Margaret

• dirt_under_my_nails
    15 years ago

I think we did away with rule about the hostess gifts.....didn't we? Someone please let me know as I making up to do if we didn't.

April/dirt

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Margaret,
    I'm glad you will be joining in on this swap! Welcome, welcome, welcome. Yes, I agree with April, we no longer send hostess gifts. That was in the set of rules I received when I joined though... maybe we need to look over the rules and rewrite parts of them.
    Annie,
    We will miss you this month but it sounds like you have plenty to keep you busy.
    For all members who can't swap this month, stop in to talk to us!
    Jeanne

• veeja11
    15 years ago

As usual carol has her head underground. the hostess gift rule did get dropped and I should have rewrote them before sending out, I was so proud I had them that I just sent them out, I will rewrite them right away. Welcome Margaret, you will love it here, your big sis is about to deliver our newest member. she is having a baby. we can't wait, sure hope hubby keeps us up to date when she goes to the hospital. big hugs to all carol

• dirt_under_my_nails
    15 years ago

Who all has their halloween/fall yard decor out? I'm usually the fist one in the 'hood to put mine out. This year I can't seem to get excited about it. Maybe since we moved out here in the boonies & no one sees them,it seems like a waste. We only had 2 tick a treaters last year!Maybe I'll drag the crap out this weekend.

Tomorrow the kids have Old Fashion Day at school. All kids & teachers dress up like the 1800's. Then they go from room to room seeing the way things use to be in the old days. There will be quilting,story tellers,native americans,hay rides, brothers of the confeterate army,how cornmeal is made,and well you get the idea, oh...and square dancing! YEE HAW!!!! We will be there with them from 8:30 to 2:30. LOOONG day!

Tuesday night the PTO had a preview of what we would be seeing. Brett's class(kindergarten) sang songs like "Old Grey Mare Ain't What She Use To BE", "Where Oh Where Is Sweet Little Mary ?" and a few others. The best thing to watch that night was the 2nd & 3rd graders(Taylor) do the Virginia Reel. Nothing like watching girls & boys who find
    touching hands with each other gross, doing a dance like that! LOL!! If only they thought that when the teen years hit......
    later....April/dirt

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Carol,
    Did we send stuff to ProudGM also? She posted the separate post and I haven't heard anything.
    Don't feel bad about not remembering the old rule was in the list. I would of sent it too.

April,
    LOL, you are too funny.
    I actually think the 1800's day sounds cool(what a nerd am I, lol) until you get to the square dancing part. Then I have nightmares from when I was a kid in gym forced to dance that stuff.
    Remy

• veeja11
    15 years ago

I am officionally senile, we have 3 new members so I need a big sis for Becky, volunteer please. Bunny if you get my name please add lots of sugar to those things you are making, and send them all, I should diet, but why ? dh is building a motel room in the shed changing back room of shed into room complete with bed and spa. romantic old fella. I get to paint walls and put up pictures tho. can't wait to get my partner. happy gardening hugs carol

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I extended the sign up until the 5th, Carol, so you will have to wait a little longer. Maybe that is good; our other new member may want to join in. I have been eager to get started putting a box together for my pal as well!
    April, I have not put out any Halloween or fall decorations yet. We do not get any trick or treaters and you can't see our house from the road, so I don't decorate much outside but I do like to put out ceramic pumpkins, etc. indoors. I just love the colors of fall!
    See you back here in a few days with who sends to whom.
    Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here's a welcome from me to Becky!

Sorry, I got confused, too, about how many new members we had. I now have you added to our member list. I hope you want to join in on the October Swap. Let me know.
    I was re-reading the posts and found I called Anita "Annie" back when she was talking about planting her bulbs. Sorry, Anita. You mentioned Annie in your message and I got confused there for a minute! LOL It happens every now and then.
    Anyway, I am posting the list one more time so you can recheck it. I will be looking to see who you sent to in September so it will be different for October.
    It's 47 degrees outside here this morning. The temperatures just dropped like that all of a sudden. Maybe fall will make a mad dash and arrive here making us forget all about summer!

OUR MEMBER LIST - And those signed up for this swap

Amybabyboy
    Beth_b_Kodiak
    Brittneysgran - yes for October
    Cedarnest
    Debbya - yes for October
    dieg01991 - yes for October
    Dirtundermynails - yes for October
    Earthly Delight
    Hazelnutbunny - yes for October Swap
    Ilovefarac
    lil green thumb
    LLbean
    Lunamoon
    margaret_2007 - Yes for October
    Mellen - Yes for October
    Missg - No for October
    Momcat
    Nyvoices99 - No for October
    proudgm_03
    Raggedyann - No for October
    Remy - yes for October
    Sandlapper Rose - yes for October
    Squanzon - yes for October
    Skohler - yes for October
    Susandonb
    Theresa24 - yes for October
    Veeja11 - yes for October
    Wynative - no for October

Jeanne

• earthlydelights
    15 years ago

Hi everyone. Hope you are all well.

A vrey warm welcome to the newcombers. Look forward to getting to know you.

Jeanne, swap sounds fun, but I need to pass this month. I'll be watching and waiting to see all the great boxes that everyone receives.

Melissa, when is your due date? Isn't someone else from this group pregnant, or are my facts jumbled?

We lost electricity for an entire day yesterday. Of all nights, Survivor and the VP Debate. Thank goodness you tube carried the entire debate and I was actually able to find a survivor website and watch it commercial free. We made the most of it, I put numerous candles all around the house before it got dark, the camping lanterns and flashlights, then we went out and ate and then to a mall (me thinking i could hit a store with televisions - NOT), came back and played dominos for a few hours by candlelight. Got it back on around 8:30 this morning.

Did I mention my son and his family are back? I went gray overnight.

Still having some issues with my computer. Now told I have to have a new hard drive installed. Always something.

This weather is wonderful, isn't it? My son actually wanted me to put the heat on - ridiculous. It might have been in the 50's this morning - certainly not heat weather.

Hope you all have a great day.

Maryanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'll be matching partners and posting it on a continuation thread this evening. That way we can do our follow-up on who has sent and received, etc. on the new thread.
    You can still join until this evening, so if you want in - let me know soon before I post the list of pals!
    Jeanne

• margaret_2007
    15 years ago

Hi, Ladies-Yea!!Received my partner!!! Theresa. I sent you an email & looking forward to getting to know you . Am gathering & hope to get the swap out early. What a fun RR this has been & thanks so much, Jeanne, for all the hard work.I am sure you have made us all happy & excited looking for things to send & looking forward to what we will receive. You did good, Girl. Blessings, Margaret

• mellen
    15 years ago

Wow! It's been awhile since anyone posted. You folks still around? lol

I received my Secret Haunted Box from Debya. Thank you for such awesome things, Deb!!! Here is what she sent:

-Bearded Iris-Superstition
    -Daylily Red Magic
    -Hyacinth Gypsy Queen-these are Orange!
    -CD called Halloween Fright Fest-Can't wait to listen to it! Some of the songs are Cat Scratch Fever, Bad to the Bone, and Boogie Oogie Oogie!
    -Seeds
    4 o'clock Kaleidoscope
    Dutchman's Pipevine
    Cupid's Dart
    Veronica Longifolia
    Alpine Aster
    Ageratum Blue Mink
    English Lavender
    Red Bee Balm
    Columbine Flabellata
    Blanketflower
    Glaskin Perpetual Rhubarb
    -Tulip Queen of the Night

What an awesome box, Deb. Thank you, thank you!!! You're the BEST!
    Mary Ellen/Mellen

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Umm... Mellen... no one has posted in awhile because this is the old post, lol. You can blame it on being drunk with happiness over your box from Deb : )
    Remy