SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kivasgrandma

How much air do worms need?

kivasgrandma
11 years ago

Hello all,
I'm new to worm farming and this forum. I hope to get some helpful advice from you all.

Over the weekend I put together a homemade worm bin. I have a lot of mesh bottomed nursery trays -- the kind that flats of six-pack plants come in. The trays are rectangular about 11"x22" and maybe 2" tall. They are molded plastic with an open mesh bottom. My idea was that I would use these for the worm trays and make a stacking bin sort of like the Can-O-Worms system.

I found an ice chest at the local Goodwill -- the kind you would take camping -- that is exactly the right size to fit the nursery trays into. (I have to say that I was Very Excited to see how well they fit!). I drilled about 30 holes 1/8" diameter in the sides of the cooler. Now I have a nice insulated box to keep my worms in. The worm juice will be caught in the bottom of the cooler where I can use the handy drain to pour it out. The lid will keep the rain off and the critters out. I have it parked in the shade, since the sun can be quite hot here in California, even in winter.

I have filled up my first tray with partly finished compost, kitchen scraps and willow leaves. I loaded in some worms from a friend's bin.

But now I am having doubts that the worms will get enough air through just 30 little holes. Can you tell me how much air the little guys need?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor