SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenny7c

multiple problems with my tomatoes?

jenny7c
11 years ago

They've only been in their pots 3 weeks and problems started early. I imagine that there are a variety of problems going on with them. Last year was my first time, and they did well until the last month of the season.

Plant 1 (Matt's Wild Cherry) had some type of bug (half of a sphere, light gold) immediately after planting the seedling. I picked off about 10 of them, and while there have since been isolated occurrences, they've not come back in mass.

Plant 1 has had its lower leaves turning yellow and then shriveling. I'd already picked off some of the lower branches that went like this, but it continued to move upwards.

I'm guessing Plant 2 (yellow pear) is early blight. (Plant 1 started yellowing before Plant 2 started having problems, but Plant 2's problems are now more extensive.)

Plant 3 (czech's bush) and Plant 4 (black cherry) have a little bit of both of the above, but are primarily healthy. But Plant 4 hasn't grown since it shot up and flowered in the first week after planting.

I've looked through online resources and questions others have asked, but except for the possibility of early blight, none of the others have seemed to match, given my limited knowledge about tomato growing.

Additional pictures are available at:

http://bit.ly/MsWSGJ

Long version of above link:

https://plus.google.com/photos/105815114255018010514/albums/5752072681597644337?authkey=CKS7jfm0qtTWMA

Today: I applied a Bonide's Liquid Copper Fungicide and watered with Miracle-Gro Tomato and Vegetable Food. I then trimmed off the bad leaves/branches.

Other products I already have from last year or bought at store recommendation: Captain Jack's Flower & Vegetable Dust, Bonide Mite-X, Espoma Tomato-Tone,

The weather in Madison, WI hasn't exactly helped - 90s just after planting (they grew well then), dropped to 50s and rainy(stopped growing), and recently it has been more temperate and season-appropriate (only Plant 3 really is growing).

Your recommendations?

Thank you!!

Comments (2)