SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
claireplymouth

Annual vine on wisteria standard?

I have a youngish wisteria standard that I've been training for 5 or 6 years. it was formed from braided vines and has an informal look. It flowered a little bit this spring, possibly because it was moved twice in the last few years (avoiding construction). I'm not worried about the wisteria flowers, it problably needs a few more years.

However I was thinking about growing an annual flowering vine up the standard that would give flowers for the rest of the season. I figured annual vine so that I could pull off the dead vine to allow the wisteria to flower unimpeded in the spring.

I would like the annual flowers to attract hummingbirds and butterflies if possible.

I would guess that the annual vine should flourish in poor soil, since I don't want to fertilize the wisteria. Alternatively, I could grow the annual vine in a container next to the wisteria.

I was thinking something llike a climbing nasturtium or cardinal climber, but I'm not really knowledgable about vines.

Is this a good idea? Are there any problems I don't know about. Is there a better annual vine that would work?

I'm in zone 6b and the site is sunny most of the day. Sandy loam soil.

Thanks,

Claire

Comments (4)