SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rachelsfrustration

Container Vines Honeysuckle or Wisteria

rachelsfrustration
16 years ago

I have an extremely large, raised deck above which I have installed a pergola (pretty much four posts with a slatted roof) over half of it. What I would like to do is attatch maybe trellis or something similar and grow vines across it for natural, beautiful screening.

However, I have never grown a vine... on purpose. Oh, sure, there's some honeysuckle seperating our house from our neighbor's house but that was on accident and I don't take care of it.

(I live on Johns Island in South Carolina, the vine will be in full sun in a wooden container built to suit.)

So, I was looking at Goldflame Honeysuckle or Japanese Wisteria. They both look like they provide good coverage both while in bloom and when they are "dead" in the winter. However, I haven't the foggiest idea if they will survive in a container or what special measures I should take. I went down to my local nursery and they recommended I get a nice climbing rose. I don't want a climbing rose. I want honeysuckle!

Please help!

How wide/deep should the containers be, should I line it with something special so the seeds don't fall under my deck and start growing? Will I even be able to prevent the vines from growing under my deck? Do I fertilize it? What goes good with it?

I appreciate all the help!

Comments (3)