SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindseyrose_gw

What to plant around pink rose bush other than salvia

lindseyrose
17 years ago

I planted 3 salvias in front of my rose bush last year (Belinda's Drea rose, two Salvia farinacea, one Salvia sinaloensis). It is a small raised bed and gets lots of full sun in the summer. What I can't figure is why the salvias are so lame?! I figured they would get taller, bushier, sort of fill in the spaces...? Nope. A year later, and they seem similarly sized to when I planted them (don't get me wrong, there was a little growth and a little cutting back, but I didn't see anything dramatic). They flowered for a couple weeks after I put them in the ground in May 2006, and then not again until late fall. Now there is not a sign of flowering in sight on any of them. I do suspect ants were eating on one of them because they had a mound right under it, but it has survived and the ants seem to be gone (doused with orange oil drench).

Should I give up on the salvias and do something else? I even spent $6 on another Salvia sinaloensis (Sapphire sage) to plant across from the one I have, but if they are not going to flower, what's the point?

Advice, anyone?

Oh, and I mostly just let them get rain water and didn't worry too too much about watering them, although I deep-watered the rose at least once a week all year last year. So I don't think it's that they are too wet.

Comments (15)