SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stitches216

(Non-)Sightings on a Sunday of alarm

stitches216
17 years ago

Beautiful, clear, dry, breezy sunny day in Friendswood. Checking the garden this morning, plants look mostly good, despite some strong winds yesterday. Confederate jasmine is in full bloom and fragrance. Ligustrum have a few buds open but most are ready to burst in the coming week. Cilantro is in full bloom - am always on the lookout to get seeds for more of that. Tomatoes have signs of some fungus, so will deal with that as best I can, as soon as possible. Anole lizards are out in force, the males bobbing and puffing their red throats. The soil looks perfectly ready for planting (or transplanting) many things.

But it's what I don't see that has me most worried.

On our entire "specimen ligustrum," 8 feet tall and wide, I have seen only ONE honeybee.

None on the jasmine. But most alarming: NONE on the cilantro. I am very familiar with the typical buzz of bees on those cilantro flowers.

We have a large Savannah holly that should put out its flowers in a week or two. If that tree is as naked of bees when it blooms as our ligustrum and cilantro are today, then I will know beyond doubt: something is immediately and dreadfully wrong with our local bees.

There is at least one other current thread in the Texas forum that is discussing the missing bees and the growing awareness that something is wrong, on a wide scale, with what are almost certainly our planet's most crucial pollinators. I have this knot in my stomach this morning from thinking that we (all of us, I mean) will soon be discussing the bee situation alot more - or at least, discussing (and cussing) the certain dire consequences of a declining bee population.

So I post this in hope of engaging yet more web-using gardeners, and spreading a message of "due alarm." I am the most far removed from a "Chicken Little type" as a man can get. But I cannot ignore what I am seeing with my own eyes. Nor can I ignore what I know of the implications of what I am seeing.

I don't mean to project with undue negativity. But the truth is simple: If the bees die off, so will a lot more creatures. Humans will not be exempt. Humans are not infinitely resilient and adaptable, any moreso than are the bees.

For example: The good Mormons who practice stocking of food for times of dire scarcity might have to fastidiously (ironically) avoid informing others of their faith and practices. Why? Because desperate people will go after food where they can find it. A bee shortage threatens our food supply. Cut that supply enough, and people will get desperate. It's that simple.

This is no exaggeration: if food crop pollination goes too far undone, the acts of desperation and anarchy in response to food shortages that we will see - even here in the good ol' USA, where we are accustomed to relatively constant abundance - will make the post-hurricane Katrina tragedies seem like one isolated pillowfight at a kindergarten girls' slumber party. I have been amidst crowds of seriously starving people. Similarly hungry, predatory carnivorous beasts treat their own with more dignity, more charity, and less violence than such desperate people do.

So today - although it is a glorious day weather-wise to be out and about in the garden - is a day of alarm that I expect to remember long. I expect to remember today vividly, even if "nothing comes" of my observations or the observations of others regarding the bees. This is a day in which I will go about in humble reflection unlike I have done in a long time.

I have never felt such alarm. I feel as if I was the only person who knew some huge asteroid was going to smack the ground mere miles from my home. Yet there is no one else who would believe, or care, let alone do anything, if I told them what I knew. All I can add is, if you knew what I know and saw what I am seeing, you would have to have a numbed mind to not feel at least some of what I am feeling.

I hope that more and more people will awaken to the fragility of their environment, the complete dependency of human existence on that environment, and the precariousness of our existence stemming from that fragility. But most immediately, I hope that more and more people will act in "due alarm" - as rationally and as charitably as possible - in response to what is looking more and more to be a catastrophe-in-the-making with our food supply. Godspeed to all.

Comments (37)