SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
raphael_gardener

Makshift Bin Full - How to get them into a new one

raphael_gardener
17 years ago

Hi there,

I have been vermicomposting for 3 years now. Always used a styrofoam box (broccoli box) with holes drilled in the bottom. Its naturally insulated and seems to do a great job. Worm multiply readily. Over the years my mistakes have been a natural population control;

Too much water

Too much fruit (fermented)

Fly maggot infestation

Never have I destroyed the population, just reduced it and they have recovered well. Anyway, having learnt from each episode I seem to be doing a better job, and this year my worms are going great. So much so that the bin is now nearly full of castings and there are so many worms I cant beleive it.

So, I want them to migrate to a new box. But the new box is the same size so doesnt fit inside the first, so it doesnt seal perfectly and the bedding doesnt touch the top box. Every time i add enough feed to get the material to the top, after a few days it has shrunk back down.

In the past Ive always had to transplant them in an emergency so tipped out the box and sorted the worms on plastic. But I want them all to move by themselves, new hatchlings and all, dont care how long it takes.

If I put black tape around the join, and even though the bedding isnt touching the top box, will they migrate up the sides and through the holes in the bottom of the top box? I just dont want them to starve by not being able to make it to the new box.

A long winded question. Anythoughts would be good.

Thanks,

Raphael in Australia

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Threshold Design and Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Design + Build Services in Mecklenburg County, VA