SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gerry_g

Paper shredders and corrugated cardboard

gerry_g
17 years ago

Thought I'd start a discussion on paper shredders versus corrugated cardboard.

I've been using a Royal "12 sheet" crosscut shredder as well as a BJ's "heavy duty" 15 sheet crosscut. Both seem unphased by the toughest boxes I have run across. They produce quite narrow strips about 4-6 inches long.

I cut the cardboard to about 6" wide for the 12 sheet shredder and 8" or so for the 15 sheet with a box cutter. Often I cut boxes around the sides, getting strips 6-8" long that are the length of the boxes's circumference.

I peel all plastic tape and labels off before cutting. As I cut, I remove and discard any stapled areas as well as the doubled up areas if they don't pull apart.

To date I have shredded about 100 gallons of cardboard box material. That is measured after shredding and as compressed a bit by the shredder. Water relaxes the cardboard fast as I use it.

I have switched to using it as my main bedding, mixed with about 1/4 peat moss and up to 1/4 shredded paper (also crosscut)

I was concerned about the load on the shredders and thus wary if they would hold up. Neither has ever shown sings of overload and still shred as they did new.

Comments?

gerry

Comments (23)