SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carolann_z8

Thanks For Coming to The Garden Gate Club Plant Swap

carolann_z8
17 years ago

Thanks for coming. I'm sorry some of you guys missed it. It was our biggest best plant swap ever and the weather was perfect. We had a hard time counting because everyone was walking around and there were too many to get in one picture. Someone said they thought we had around 70 people. I know it was more than 50 but it's like counting fish in a pond.

We had lots of Garden Gate Club members and several GWers. Our club now has 45 members and some of the nicest people you've ever met.

It was so nice to meet lots of GWers that I had never met.

The best part of all was that Jolana came. YEA!!!! I've never laughed so much in a long time.

She picked up Kathy (natvtxn) and surprised me. Every time I looked around Goober Girl was doing something. She was sweeping the decks, cleaning up or asking what she could do. I'm not used to that but it sure was nice.

We went to Carries and she was such a gracious hostess, she made us a glass of tea and we all had the best time visiting then she loaded us down with plants.

We snuck up on PJ and took her out to lunch then after the swap Jolana, PJ, Kathy and I all had the most wonderful time just talking till around 10:30 at night.

Bev brought me a beautiful home made garden apron, thanks Bev.

PJ brought Terry a turtle and watched her swim in her new home. Terry was so glad she had the turtle.

Kylie made a beautiful garden angel for Jolana and we were all so jealous.

Txtomato (Alison) was so organized. Her labels had colored pictures of the plant on each one.

She and several others donated some great prizes. I wish I could remember who all donated prizes but it was so hectic.

Mark (mytrees)brought a big pink plumeria and I can not wait till it blooms. Thanks Mark.

There couldn't have been a better day and it was all because of you.

Thanks again, Carol Ann

Comments (35)

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

Go Carol! Show us how it's done!!! Simply amazing how nice it is everytime! Your garden was totally gorgeous and the swap was a hit. It was so great to see and meet so many really nice people!
    BTW, you have an open invitation to my house ANYTIME! That was such a lovely surprise! PJ

• carrie751
    17 years ago

I did not even get to meet everyone as there were so many people there. To those of you I did meet, it was great, and to those of you I missed, I hope I get to meet you next time. It was such a good time, and such perfect weather. And what a great visit with Jolana, Carol and Kathy. We talked and talked - that is why we needed the iced tea. LOL

• Related Discussions

WANTED: dallas water garden club is swapping plant

Q

Comments (1)
    Hi Jack, I sent you an email a couple days ago ask for the location of the swap. Don't know if you receive it but let me know where, I'd like to come. Thanks TT
    ...See More

Bowie-Crofton Garden Club Plant Sale Tomorrow!!

Q

Comments (2)
    I still have some =) I can bring them to the swap or you're welcome to come collect some.. Bowie-Crofton Garden Club website: http://www.bcgardenclub.org/ There are a couple of other garden club members floating around here, too. I officially joined on Saturday but have met a couple of members through the Bowie Freecycle group. Hope this helps! Lynne zachsmom at iname dot com
    ...See More

Chandor Gardens tour with the Garden Gate Club

Q

Comments (5)
    Thank you for posting pictures of your tour! The gardens are lovely and the pictures are great. It is so much fun going with a group. Will you ID the people in the group photo? I especially enjoyed seeing all the succulents and the fountains, especially the fountain made from repurposed metal pieces. I'd like for the San Antonio folks to go together to visit the Japanese Tea Garden. How about it S. A. peeps?
    ...See More

Pictures of the Garden Gate Club Spring Plant Swap April 28, 2007

Q

Comments (69)
    Thanks Susan, Jolana and PJ. It's a tough job but someone has to do it. lol It's definately not for the faint of heart. Folks do not try this at home. Leave it to the experts or dingie blondes that don't know any better. LOL Jolana, thanks for posting the pictures.
    ...See More
  • chena
    17 years ago

And a Wonderful time was had by all!!!
    Carol Thank You for opening up you home and your beautiful gardens..
    Allison.. You Rock Sister.. You brought so many amazing gifts and worked your little Bahootie off helping Melvalena( who is Totoally Awsome) get all that great food set up!!!
    Jolana.. all I can say is WOW and Thank You so much for all your wonderful gifts and for coming so far... What a Blessing...And bringing Kathy!!
    It was just great to meet everyone DJM.. and Gary..What a wonderful and funny man a Total pleasure..
    Angie~ Audra Looking forward to seeing you again...
    Ms. Carrie what can I say...LOL
    Terry!! I could go on and on!!!
    It was a great time, if you didn't make it you should start planning for the Fall Swap.. I can see it growing!!!
    Kylie~Chena

• natvtxn
    17 years ago

Thanks to you, girl. Sure was fun!

• Bev__
    17 years ago

I had a great time. Still didn't meet everyone! Next time we need to do a roll call...net & real names.
    What in the world did you did you gals talk about till 10:30?
    Malvalena & Allison were helping everyone...everywhere. What a couple neat gals. It was great to meet Jolana & Native Texan. Carrie is always a joy and her friend is so sweet(can't remember her name...senior moment again). Audra & Angie are so friendly, hope to see them again. Little Kathy iand PJ are funny & down to earth. I enjoyed visiting with Carole's Danny too. I visited with other nice people, but don't know who they were, I think one was Sue Vu, what a sweetie! Never got to chat with Dr. Jerry.
    I planned on planting all my new plants today, but I just laid around all day, because I was up all night with an allergic reaction to something. My feet turned tomato red & all shiny and swelled up big time, my legs, hands and face too. My eyes were almost swelled shut. It happened in like an hour after I got home. After the 4th bendryl and soaking in cool baking soda bath it started getting better. I'm still puffy and now I have the itchies and ache. It's so weird. I've been soaking in a cool oatmeal bath product thats supposd to help the itching.
    I keep developing more things I'm allergic to. Have NO idea what set this episode off!

• natvtxn
    17 years ago

OH NO! Bev, tell us it is not plants.

• carolann_z8
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Bev, I think I need to go get all your plants and plant them in my yard just in case one is making you sick.

We sure don't want to take any chances. LOL

Thanks Melvelena for helping. I have heard two people say what a good help you, Angie and Alison were. I'm sorry I missed it but in case you didn't notice, I was running around like a chicken with her head cut off. LOL

Who was the pretty lady with the long hair that took pictures? I know I should know because we talked a few times but I totally forgot.

• melvalena
    17 years ago

You're welcome. I just looked around and helped where it looked like I was needed. You were busy doing other things that needed doing!

I had a good time while I was there. Was sure pooped by the time I finally got home. Anyone else want to just pull over on the side of the road and just take a nap? :)

--
    I've reached the age where happy hour is a nap.

• txtomato
    17 years ago

Wow! how much fun was that? It was so nice to meet everyone and get some great plants! Talk about sensory overload! I didn't even know what to run for first! I did get some great plants though and they are happily in the ground.

I was so happy to meet/see you all and would especially like to thank melvalena, pj, carol, stacy, kay, jerry & margaret, bev, carrie, kiley, kathy, angie and audra, and of course jolana, for being so nice! I can hardly wait for the fall!

Carol - Audra was the one taking some great pictures at the swap.....

see you soon!!!!

sunburned, tired and happy I have 16 tomatoes ripening....
    ~ tx tomato

• debbiedo7
    17 years ago

Thanks Carol Ann for the great swap.
    After being LOST & then you helping us get there we had a great time.
    Little Brianna had a great time walking around choosing just the right things for her & her big sis that was left at home sick.
    She even found 2 little toy crocodiles to take home to her little brother & Donna's grandson. I was proud of how
    she kept them in mind while choosing items.
    It was so good to meet everyone & get such great plants to boot.
    Now I've been told to NOT say THANK YOU cause it could cause my new plants to die.
    Well my plants are Blessed and also very Gracious & so we shall cohabitate in Thankfulness & Love.
    By saying that I will Thank everyone that so pleasantly shared their abundance of some of God's beautiful creations.

Debbie

• chena
    17 years ago

Melvalena... Many Many Thanks go out for shareing so many of your plant picks with my sister she hasn't ever been to a plant swap but had a blast and when we emptied the truck ..most of it was hers...LOL.. I hope to get the chance to see ya again ..
    Kylie

• melvalena
    17 years ago

Chena/Kylie!!!
    I was searching the forum for you yesterday, and thought you might be you!!! I love that picture on your profile page! Is that your place?

I thought I was picking plants for you! :)
    I loved spending time with you and your sis.

Melvalena

• scuba-gal
    17 years ago

For my first swap to attend - this sure exceeded my exspectations ! Thanks to everyone for being so friendly and making Audra and I feel so welcome. She called just last night to discuss what we will be bringing to the next swap - we are both excited to join in next time! It was a wonderful time meeting everyone face to face and what a great group! Thanks agian for your hospitality.

** Audra did take a bunch of pictures - I believe she will be sending them (email) to Carol to post

Thanks, Angie

Angie

• Bev__
    17 years ago

Kylie....I missed when you became Chena.Is Chena a nickname, last name or something else. I love the Patriotic plaque/decoration you made. Do you sell them at your farmers market too? What farmers market do you go to?
    I sure am nosy!

• little_dani
    17 years ago

Kylie? Is that really you?

I have missed you!

I am distraught that I missed the swap. I think y'all should move closer to the coast.

Sounds like a wonderful time was had by all.
    I am jealous. Happy for y'all tho.

Janie

• chena
    17 years ago

Hey Melvalena!!! (suck-up..LOL)
    You did get plants for me also (thank you).. But I think you got some grass and ferns for her ..and she just can't quit talking about it...LOL
    Yep!! that pic is our house from last summer and one of my dogs Ms Libby......
    Chena

• chena
    17 years ago

Hey Janie!!
    Missin you as well.. I would have LOVED for you to be there...It was a great time...Hope ya'll are doing great down there...

• botnnie
    17 years ago

Thank you Carol Ann! And thank you Carrie for introducing me to everyone! I apologize to all those who got my stuff that was thrown in bags at the last minute, due to my travel for work (if they don't make it PLEASE let me know and I'll bring you more - day lilies, pink 4 O'clocks, mums, soapwort, etc.)! I certainly feel like I got the better end of that deal because I had so many fun things to plant after I got home. I got everything planted but this one plant that was in the groundcover section. Is it some type of Ivy (heart shaped leaves, green, light green, yellow with a touch of red and red stems, somewhat upright)? I just love it and want to make sure it goes in the right spot so I'm sure someone here knows! Thank you all for sharing!

Bonnie

• carolann_z8
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Janie, you have plenty of time to plan for the fall swap. It would've been great if you could've come.

Bonnie, you are such a nice person. I really enjoyed meeting you and I'm so glad you could come. Maybe next time we go to Carrie's house you can come over and chat with all of us.

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

Poor Bev! EEEKKK! I hope you're feeling better now!
    I swear you'd need 3-4days to meet all the people at the swap! PJ

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Bev, I hope you are better, I was so happy to finally meet you and your aprons were too too cute
    I think it was that cute lil girl you won that you are allergic to, LOL

PJ, you would need more than one day to meet and visit with all of the wonderful people that were there

The people that I did meet I really enjoyed talking to

Bonnie, I want to know what the plant is, lol

Melvalena, you are a hoot and I am looking forward to talking to you again. I think you should sell those ramps, I still want a pic of them so I can make some for my older dog

Allison, what a good sport you are and really organized, lol

Debbie and Angie, next time we will get to vsit more

Kylie, as soon as I find my camera I will show everyone my beautiful garden angel, lol
    Beautiful is actually an understatement

Carrie, you and Carol and PJ are perfect hostess'

BTW y'all Carrie and I are going to a plant sale this weekend, lol
    Carrie is a plantaholic and I am an enabler, LOL

• carolann_z8
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I forgot to thank Melvalena for the cool prize she donated to the plant swap. It was the perfect thing for seed snatching. It was a pretty bag with pouches and inside it had garden tools, markers and bags to put seeds in.
    It probably had more things inside but the winner snatched it up so fast my hand almost went with it. LOL
    She saw how much I liked it and it must've scared her. LOL

Jolana and Carrie, have fun on your shopping trip.

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

That's what that was? and Melvalena made it? How cool was that, I should have looked at all of those prizes, lol

Thank you Carol, it's at Carrie's homecoming we were telling you about

• melvalena
    17 years ago

It was a Plant Road Side Rescue Kit to keep in the car at all times. You never know when you're gonna need to 'rescue' a plant.

I didn't "make" it. :)
    I put it together. I've been wanting one for myself and just never got around to putting one together. So I made myself put one together for the swap, and since I was doing it.... I put one together for me too! Everything came from BigLots or I already had on hand.

Digging tools
    Water
    Paper towels
    Plastic bags
    Seed envelops
    Pen
    Pad of paper
    Snipers
    plastic cups

Everything but the big ole shovel. (it won't fit in the bag)

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

What a Woman, lol, I have those things in my truck, well just plain ole envelopes tho

I should put them together for my car
    Thanks Melvalena

• melvalena
    17 years ago

Check out Big Lots, they had the cutest bags to put it all in.

I didn't put any gloves in it. I always carry several pairs in my truck and I think everyone else does too.

• melvalena
    17 years ago

Just as I fell asleep last night I remembered the name of that pretty plant Carolann had but no one could think of what its called.
    It didn't cross my mind again until now...just as I'm heading off to bed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mona Lavender

• carolann_z8
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Melvalena, you're so smart to think of this cool plant road rescue kit.
    You do know that we'll all be fighting over it if you bring one to the next swap, now that we all know what it is. LOL

And thanks for helping identify that plant.
    I'll have to tell everyone in the garden club the name of that plant. We've racked our brains over this one.

• natvtxn
    16 years ago

Well thank goodness. That noise you hear is everyone rushing to the nursery to buy that plant. I had several ask what it was and I know I saw people asking others if they knew what it was.

It was so nice to meet you Malvalena. You are just as funny as I expected.

• melvalena
    16 years ago

My Mona Lavender roots very easily in water. (hint hint)

Take clippings late fall so you have plenty for next season.

Even though I brought mine in the house this winter, I lost it. I'd had that plant about 3 years.

Which reminds me, I need to pot up that little baby and get her outside.

• kay75052
    16 years ago

Hi everyone, I finally got a chance to sit at the computer. Just wanted to Thank CarolAnn for being a wonderful hostess and letting us visit your beautiful garden. It was really nice seeing and meeting everyone. And Thank You all for sharing your wonderful plants. My sister and I had a great time. I finally finish putting the last plant in the ground yesterday just in time for this rain. :-)
    Hope to see everyone again soon.

Thanks Again

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

I have a shovel. My kit is sadly lacking. PJ

• carolann_z8
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Melvalena, I get the hint. lol
    Maybe I'll try and root some for the fall swap. Terry and I talked about also trying to root some Pink Lemonade Honeysuckle for the next swap.

Kay, it was a pleasure.

PJ, my kit is sadly lacking too. Boy are we pathetic. LOL

• mlolady98
    16 years ago

Wow! I forgot to come over here and check this link....lol. Now I have so much catching up to do.

I did take pictures....sent them to Carol. I keep trying to post them, but the web site keeps telling me I have exceeded my bandwith...guess I will have to make them smaller...lol. My next day off work is Saturday and I will work on them than.

I had such a great time at the swap and meeting you all was wonderful. I'm all geared up for the fall swap and have already started thinking about what I am going to bring...

Hope you all have a great day....

Audra

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

Whoo hoo more pics! Thank you! (I think I need a camera added to my kit too!) PJ

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting