SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vagas

How I feed my flow through system

vagas
15 years ago

I have a similar flow through system to the ones in 'My Flow Through Bins' thread.

I have about 4 pounds of worms in my bin. they are a mixture of tiger and denra worms

I produce about 3 - 4 pounds of kitchen waste every month. Which I put into an old ice cream tubs and then freeze on a weekly basis.

My bedding consists coir fiber [

http://www.fertilefibre.com/shop/product_info.php/cPath/29/products_id/39], wood shavings, Torn cardboard, and shredded offices paper and newspaper. All mixed together and all damp.

then once a month I will check to see if last months food has gone (it always has). (I checked last night and there is not much left). Then put my months worth of kitchen scraps in, this coves the entire bin with about 1-1/2 inch of food. I then put a layer of damp cardboard over the scraps. I will then make enough bedding to cover the bin with about 2 inches. This totally covers the food. I then put about an inch of very loose shredded paper and newspaper. I then leave it until next month.

I have been doing it for a couple of months and everything seems to be going OK. had a look last night and I could see plenty of cocoons and baby worms.

I am really after the opinions of you experts. My thoughts of feeding in this layered way is that if the food has not gone from the previous month I should still feed again and have worms at all difference levels of the bin and this might increase my population. I would like to know your opinions good or bad.

thanks Paul

Comments (2)