SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arum_gw

Arum, - posting from MG Heaven!!!!!!

ARUM
18 years ago

On my goodness, Man O Day, if I believed in reincarnation, I would want to come back as a camera!!!!! I'm just drooling all over my body, and down to the floor!!! One of these MG's is purple with a pink and purple halo in the middle, with wild purple and white lines going to the edge, and another MG vine is blue and similar. Good grief, how will I last to next spring to plant more? ( Snicker Snicker) Stay tuned for more descriptions. And Emma, if you're reading this , the "Plum Frost" has appeared!!! :) arum

Comments (96)

• helena_z8_ms
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Sorry about the double post but was having problems posting.

Arum, I'm really not sure. The lady that sent me the seeds said she bought the seeds & was sharing a few with me. I don't remember her saying it was silk chocolate. It's the second year I'm growing them, they do have variegated leaves. The actual color of the flower might be a tad darker than the pic shows. It rained here yesterday and ruined 3 blooms that were to open today. Helena

• ARUM
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well anywho, - it's breathtakely beautiful! And your great with a camera! :)

• Related Discussions

wanna see my mg's????

Q

Comments (13)
    Oh, Arum, I'm drooling over those pics. Great beauties you have. If only someone was here to take a pic of me right now. I'm outside on a lawn chair and it's 69 degrees in March. That's 60 degrees, mind you, in Massachusetts. I'm on a lawn chair with the laptop on my lap. dungarees and a t shirt on. I have a little path hubby shoveled so I could get out the back door and get the WS containers outside. On my feet are boots, and I'm surrounded by snow on the ground. Can see some of my containers but most are covered in snow. No sprouts yet, little to early and the temps are going to drop tomorrow and more snow on Friday and Saturday. Guess I should be glad that no one can get a pic as I must look like a fool. Sunning myself outside, playing on the computer, no coat, no jacket, no sweatshirt but good old winter boots on the feet; and I'm dreaming of all my MG's growing up the chain link fence. Fran who looks like a fool in the back yard, dreaming of morning glory heaven.
    ...See More

have yoy grown this red mg?

Q

Comments (4)
    Yes I have grown it for the hummers and they love it. All morning glories reseed in my yard pretty much so I wanted one that would attract hummingbirds. I enjoyed it although getting rid of unwanted seedlings the next few years is not fun! Joann
    ...See More

please help save my kids' vine teepee! (MG)

Q

Comments (9)
    RedQueen, I'm in SW Michigan (zone 5) and I did MGs for the first time last year. I didn't plant my seeds until about now, and the first month of growth was SLOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But once they got up to about a foot tall, they REALLY took off. Suggestions: For fast growth and foliage, you *DO* want to water them. Then once they are established, cut down on the watering and they'll flower more. But for little "babies" that aren't to the flowering stage yet, if they don't have enough water then they won't have what they need to grow. Once they are growing strong (sending out tendrils), you'll want to watch them EVERY DAY if you want to get complete coverage for the teepee. These things grow like the dickens once they get going, but they're not very smart about *where* they grow. You'll want to direct them to the bare spots on your teepee each day so they don't just start growing on each other or heading back down towards the ground. (Learn from my mistake, please!) The vines are very forgiving of your manipulation, too -- I've unwrapped them where they had spiraled around each other a dozen times and directed them to where I wanted them to go, and they just kept on going. But it takes a LOT more time to unwrap them than it does to just direct them in the right spot in the first place. In my experience, Grandpa Otts isn't the fastest/strongest grower. I found that the Mixed Colors seeds grew faster than the other varieties I had last year (grandpa otts, tricolor, and heavenly blue). Good luck!
    ...See More

Id mislabled MG

Q

Comments (8)
    njoynit, hope you don't mind... although i had no trouble opening your link, i right clicked on your lovely MG, clicked save image location and am posting it here. (see above message) forgive me if i was out of line- just wanted to help if others were having trouble opening link. by following the method i used,there is no need to go through your album, find flowers, find mg bloom etc. ... although it was nice seeing all your lovely plants!!! i am now pretty sure it is as i thought originally: ipomoea nil aka early call mg. btw, are all the blooms this gorgeous violet color? it comes mixed as well. enjoy... I am STILL waiting!!!!!!!!!!!!!:-O dory Here is a link that might be useful: mislabeled mg
    ...See More
  • helena_z8_ms
    16 years ago

Thank you Arum. I have a rose silk seedling that I want to compare the color of blooms. I like taking pictures of all my flowers to enjoy them later & to keep a record album of what I had blooming. Helena

• filix
    16 years ago

Earth to Arum. Come in please. This is filix. I was cleaning my potting shed and grabed your old envelope you sent me and felt a lump. I looked inside and saw a small package with shiruki morning glory seeds! I didn't know they were even in there. I almost threw them away!. I will plant those pronto! Thanks your a peach! filix

• ARUM
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh my goodness!!! :) One of the most beautiful MG's in the world,(with variegated leaves), was about to be trashed! I know you will enjoy them! :) Arum

• filix
    16 years ago

I know! You have been in morning glory heaven. If I threw those seeds out I would have to go to the other place!!:) filix

• ARUM
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Filix, you're a hoot! :)

• dionysus.god
    16 years ago

hey, sorry i have been out. i am in NC and my internet has been cut off. i am currently in a library. i planted some nasturtum and red star MG. it is a mt fuji type. if i get seeds and you want some just let me know. do a google image search on it.

• ARUM
    Original Author
    16 years ago

David, will you be in NC all summer? How ya gonna take care of your plants? Nasturtiums are great, Mg's rock. I think I have red star, not sure. :) Thanks. Arum

• dionysus.god
    16 years ago

i am going to be in NC until late july. my step mom is in IN taking care of my plants along with my dad. hey arum, do you have anyother mt fuji MGs? i love them but i cant find them anywhere but parks seeds, and they're pretty expensive. if i do order from them, it is for the algoflash stuff i use. maybe i will get some when i reorder next. by the way, does anyone grow their MGs in pots? i read that their blooms are more prolific when their roots are constricted. i havnt tried yet but i have some in pots now. i will keep ya posted.

• ARUM
    Original Author
    16 years ago

David, yes I have a mix of Mt. Fuji, and am growing several this year. If you send you envelope I will send you some. I am a little irritated because the neighbors MG's are to the top of the fence, and most of mine aren't event climbing yet, though their healthy. When they do get started going though, they really take off, but it seems to take for ever! I have had a couple come up in pots that have been dropped there, and yes, they seem to do well. :)

• nucci60
    16 years ago

Arum, what is up with mt.fuji? does it grow slower than the other types? my vinesare healthy but barely moving compared to the others like blue star and summer skies.

• ARUM
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, my Mt fuji's are growing slow, but then ALL my MG's are growing slow! My neighbors MG's are unbelieveably taller than mine, you wouldn't believe the difference. However, I find that once they get going good, they really take off. Maybe you will experience the same thing. :) Arum

• littleonefb
    16 years ago

I found Mt fuji grows slower than many others as well. Once it is well established it will take off.

I've found that most of the Japanese MG are slow growers to start, and they don't grow a huge vine either, but do flower with huge flowers and are beautiful and worth the wait.

At the moment the few seeds I sowed of heavenly blue, flying saucer and blue star are about 10 inches tall and my Japanese ones are about 2-3 inches tall.

The japanese ones don't make alot of seeds either so grab all the seeds you can get from any of them for next year.

Arum, I haven't checked this post for a while so didn't see the post for seeds. Will the seeds be OK if I wait to sow them next year? I have at least 70 different kinds of seedlings this year and can't handle any more vines, but sure would love the ones you want to send for next year.

Oh, I sowed the 6 seeds I got from a friend of "Bold Miss Piggy". 4 of them germinated, but the chipmunks liked them as much as I wanted to see the flowers, so now have to good size vines growing and a bit of a wire fence around them. hope they don't become chipmunk snack.

Let me know if the seeds will be ok if I wait till next year to sow them and if they will be fine, send me an e-mail with your addy and I'll get an SASBE off to you for them

Fran

• ARUM
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Fran, your observation concerning Japanese MG" are very accurate from what I've experienced. The neighbors MG's are off the charts as far as MG's go, because they are growing the common ones. I can wait. I have one that Ronnie17 sent me, forgot the name, but the leaves are fuzzy and kinda curly. This particular MG is short, but healthy,and I can't wait to see the bloom.

Yes, you can wait till next year to plant seeds,cos I find MG seeds are kinda like beans, they last forever. Mine almost always germinate, the main problem being the birds, squirrels,cut worms, and pill bugs. Nothing makes me madder then to go out in the morning and find a MG with the whole head bitten off, or the whole thing pulled out of the ground! ^&**&^%%%^^^^%#$^&!!! I don't really use those bad words. :) Anywho, I will send my address later. :) arum

• dionysus.god
    16 years ago

well because japanese MGs are hybrids that have been backcrossed (cross polinated with an heirloom variety) various times, the genes have been warped and distorted. several of the MGs like sunrise serenade, are made by using alkoloids and mutagins(mutation causers) and that will have some unintended side affects including slowed growth rate, reduced germination rate, harden or softer seeds, and alot of others. i am going to see if i can get my hands on some colchicine or sodium azide(NaN3)to make some mutations and see what will happen. if i get a cool MG, i will send some seeds out.

• ron_convolvulaceae
    16 years ago

My experience and perspective regarding MG's differs from the one offered in the posting above...

Japanese type MG's may sometimes be backcrossed with a type that is more open pollinated stable,but to say that all JMG's are created this way is an overgeneralization...

The Sunrise Serenade and other hige types display splitting along what would ordinarilly be the fused area of the secondary fold...the splitting may represent a reversion to the older ancestral form of the plants when ALL Mg's had separate petals...
    Ipomoea purpurea Sunrise Serenade is not a polyploid and will readilly cross with other Ipomoea purpurea...

The University of Kyushu in Japan has extensive documentation about thousands of strains of MG's that they have cataloged which includes listing the main genes responsible for the features...

Mutagens can certainly cause alterations in genotypical and phenotypical characterisics which include a wide range of effects variously detrimental or advantageous to the organism...some plants which display features which are considered aesthetic to humans may survive via the help of gardeners...these same plants would most likely perish in the wild as only a small percentage of mutations actually provide a survivalistic advantage to organisms as per perpetuation of the species in the competition as present in nature...

The Ipomoea genus generally does not fare well or survive with a polyploid chromosome count >although there are some noteworthy exceptions like Ipomoea batatas and the unusual allotetraploid Ipomoea sloteri...

Best Regards,

Ron

• dionysus.god
    16 years ago

that is very true about the whole mutations actually taking off. less than one percent actually pose an advantage. though alot of the JMGs are interpollinated, not all of them are mutated. i wasn't trying to say that they all were.

• evesapple2
    16 years ago

usually post in cottage. i have alot of foliage this year,not many blooms mosly have wild mgs but planted a few seeds this year. don't know names but i have a perfect spot for them so i guess i'll have to get into them more.i can do that. i did it with clems(startint to know names)i can do it with mgs

• nucci60
    16 years ago

Hi Arum, does Mt. fuji even twine? mine are growing well now but seem confused. they are throwing out long growth into space. Didn't the mother plant teach them anything? I am trying to twine it around the bamboo pole, but it is stuborn and keeps shooting into thin air.

• ARUM
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes it does,- eventually. :) It's worth it to help it along if it doesnt do what you want. Gorgeous! :) arum

• dionysus.god
    16 years ago

wow, i drooling over those pics, my MGs are doing fine, i used some fertalizer sparingly on htem, just to get them bigger so they can be twined. by the way, try wrapping them counter clockwise. for some reason, vines only twine CC in the N hemisphere, something to do with the coriolis effect.

• dionysus.god
    16 years ago

hey, my mt fuji are doing great, they are twining great. i find that if you use fertalizers early on i growth, they will grow big early and flower sooner, but as soon as it starts to flower, cut off the fertalizer.

• ARUM
    Original Author
    16 years ago

David, I didn't know that. :) I got the your envelope, and I will mail out your MG's. Hope you're not in a hurry, things have been sticky here. By the way, did you know that the "site" that we don't like anymore is up and running again? I don't think I will ever post there again, don't trust them anymore),I'll just stick with good ole Garden Web. :) arum

• dionysus.god
    16 years ago

well i won't go there again, but i will check in on it now and then. i thought it had been abandoned. by the way, about the seeds, i don't need them until the spring. my MG at my moms house are doing great, i just arrived in indiana tonight, and i saw my garden here and it was a mess!!! my MGs here are flowering, but they aren't very profuse in foliage. thanks again for the seeds. by the way, i went on an orchid buying binge and i bought a whole bunch of orchids and polinated a few of them. i can't wait till htey seed. if i get a few plantlets, would you like a few? they won't bloom for a few years though. let me know

• ARUM
    Original Author
    16 years ago

David, Yes, I will mail the MG's maybe this fall, so you can plant them in the spring. "That" garden forum is not to be trusted by me. I also check it every day to see what's happening, but I don't think that the people who are moderating it are to be trusted. I mean, why would they let that happen to a bonafide gardening site? Somethings fishy there, and I don't want to be part of it. Also, every time I use to post there I would get spam in my email.
    Thanks for the offer of the orchids, but I'm only interested in MG's. In fact, I have been getting rid of just about every plant I can dig out. Burn out. Plain ole burn out. Anywho, still love my MG's! Actually, I don't want any new ones of them either! Hope you're injoying your vacation before you go back to school,- catch ya later! :) Arum

• njoynit
    16 years ago

here R some jewls
    1st its on dog kennel and something happened to the tag.I would describe it as purple with a pink star with a lighter purple center.the flowers shoot of a stem thats 3-4 inches from the vine like lil airy things.I got it from You Arum.:D
    Wisteria Tie dye(awesome!)
    Robe duo.
    something weird on akatsuki mersaki.Then a normal akatsuki mersaki.....AFTER 3pm.
    2 more robe shots.

AND
    I'll post a few more later.

***I use photobucket.here are instructions.open up your PB page see the lil boxes under the pictures when your logged in?click the ones you want to show& hit generate code at bottom of page.when that page comes up...for posting on GW you use the myspace/live journal links click select then click copy then come back to your message and under your message(not the link box below) click paste and when you hit post the preview should come up showing your pictures before you post them.then hit submit.
    U Have to go to the pages seperately for posting from the following page,but can just give it a open line under last paste then do same and just paste right below previous.they also have deltailed instructions on the site under help it will open in another window.

• njoynit
    16 years ago

well heres some moonflower vine
    alamo vine
    asugo blue white edge,yes those are budchimes.they sound good too.
    heavenly blue
    original wintered basket of akatsuki mersaki
    close up of asugo blue white edge...from Arum!

yes Arum.I DID plant white picotee under seedling pink brugmansia.the rain slowed it down alot but it looks good....at 3 inches...I of course have 'Hope':D It has flowered but being bull headed about climbing...but does sit.
    my purple moonvine returned from seed.lots more foliage this year.wish it'd bloom.
    I'll post more tomorrow

• poppy_power
    16 years ago

Here is a few photos of mg.Hope!to have more photos to share.The mg seem to be growing slow this year.I wonder,if it is due to weather and lack of rain.

{{gwi:102004}}

{{gwi:422056}}

{{gwi:416791}}

{{gwi:81341}}

{{gwi:412448}}

{{gwi:102005}}

• littleonefb
    16 years ago

Arum,

I just posted some pics of Bold Miss Piggy and some other MG pics on a new thread.

She's beautiful, Blooms are huge, 4, 5 and 6 inches.

So glad I have seeds of her.

Fran

Here is a link that might be useful: Bold Miss Piggy MG pics and other MG

• ARUM
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Karla, my, you've been a busy girl! What beauties! really lights up the vine forum! :) Arum

• poppy_power
    16 years ago

Hello:Arum Nice!to hear from you.I just wish I could grow alot more.LOL!My growing space is limited.

• dionysus.god
    16 years ago

WOW!!! those MGs put mine to shame. i was just simply drooling over those japanese hybrids Poppy power! wow, wow and wow again! you and i need to trade. when my red star MG flowers, my mom is suppossed to send me a pic. when it comes, i will post it. keep those beaut's comin'!!! :D

• poppy_power
    16 years ago

A few more blooms.

{{gwi:90303}}

{{gwi:90306}}

• deeg
    16 years ago

Wow! Once again, I had no idea that there were so many different kinds of morning glories! Mine just seem to pop up here and there. I think I had some in a mixed flower seed packet this year. Have no idea what the name is. Here's a picture of how big it's gotten. And, it's growing up a straight pole. It's too late in the day to get any flowers, I'll get some in the morning. The second image just shows how much they've grown into the trees and mixed in with my Passin Vine.

By dgarrand, shot with PDRM5 at 2007-08-06

By dgarrand, shot with PDRM5 at 2007-08-06

By the way Poppy Power, are the first one and second to last one Morning Glories? They're beautiful! I guess it's time to go hunting for different types of MGs.

Dee

• littleonefb
    16 years ago

Ok, Everyone is posting pics on this thread so I'm going to repost some I posted on another thread and add some new ones. I've got some really strange blooms this year. Seeds collected from my own plants and not coming true this year, but they are beautiful anyway.

Fran

Arum's Bold Miss Piggy. Hope to lots of seeds for trades. Everyone needs to have this beauty. Color is really a darker bold pink than the pic shows and she has 4-6 inch flowers.
    {{gwi:423135}}

One type of bloom from Joyce Cobb. Pic snapped right after the rabbit took out a chunk

Seeds from last years red picotee. Isn't bloom true this year. Didn't grow anything that looked like this last year and didn't sow any seeds that flower like this one either.
    It has really think stems and they all snapped off when I went to put them in a pot. So I put the roots of the stem in the pot along with the the broken stems that where full of buds. Been blooming ever since and the stems are all rooted in the soil now.
    {{gwi:423133}}

Emma's Gift. This one is like the energizer bunny. Once it starts to bloom it just keeps going and going and going.
    these where the first 2 blooms.
    {{gwi:423131}}

Mt fuji light blue
    {{gwi:423129}}

This one came from my MG last year that was white picotee creeper. Never grew one last year that looked like this and didn't sow any this year. But sure do like it. Looks like a lavender Mt Fuji, but not sure.
    {{gwi:423130}}

This one didn't come true to seed either. Seeds from my maisugata from last year that bloomed true. Have nothing that I sowed that would look like this. The camera makes the color dark Blue, but it really is a dark purple.

last weeks pic.
    {{gwi:423138}}

Today's pic. My camera isn't the best and it pics up subtle markings on the flowers and seems to exagerate them
    {{gwi:423137}}

This one came from a trade. The flower was supposed to be a small version of blue star. Last year it bloomed a very small pink flower that grew in mid air!!!! Yup, the chipmunks got the stem and separated it from the roots. the stem had about 40 buds on it and they continued to bloom for over a month. So never new if the seeds that ripened would be viable or what they would look like this year.
    It really is a stunner and haven't seed anything like it before.

This was taken about 9 am
    {{gwi:423132}}

this shot was taken around noon of the same day. The color had become more lavender than blue.

This was taken around 2 or 3pm and it has faded some from the brighter lavender that was a few hours earlier.

center>

My lavender moonvine. beautiful lavender, small flower, but alas no scent. hard to get a good pic showing the color with my camera

center>

{{gwi:423136}}

Will post more as they bloom. I have at least 60 more different morning glory plants to bloom yet.

Fran

• poppy_power
    16 years ago

Hello:Dee,I can"t wait to see your mg photos.The first flower is grown as a mix.The spoked flower is called chachamaru the other ,I beleive is kurenai.
    The second to last is not a heavenly blue although the color is lighter than a heavenly blue.A few people has thought it is a cross from either a blue star or possibly a heavenly blue.I love!the light color of blue.
    Fran:Your M.glorys are pretty!I like the light blue mt.fuji.

• dionysus.god
    16 years ago

arum, how could you be sooo selfish? keeping all your beautiful MGs to your self!(sarcasm) share some pics!!! i am practically dieing to see YOUR MGs. mine are hideously puny. not sure how my red star are faring though. i will have to ask my mom.

• littleonefb
    16 years ago

Arum, where's the pics. didn't you get a camera? please, please, please post some pics.

Fran

• ARUM
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Fran, I can email the pics to you. OK? :) Arum

• ARUM
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Fran, I can email the pics to you. OK? :) Arum

• littleonefb
    16 years ago

Arum, sent you an e-mail.

Fran

• dionysus.god
    16 years ago

okay, found out how the scarlet star MGs are doing. they're pink...ugh! i was really looking foreward to the beautiful blooms of red and white striped. oh well.

• ARUM
    Original Author
    16 years ago

David, don't be a prude, pinks a nice color. Email me your address, I can't read your handwriting. :) Arum

• dionysus.god
    16 years ago

sorry 'bout my handwriting. i know its pretty bad. and about the pink thing, i was more expecting a red star color, not a solid pink. and from what i am told, it is a sort of soft pink. i will have my mom send pics of it.

• ARUM
    Original Author
    16 years ago

David, I gues that sounded kind of mean. Sorry. Anywho, I don't think I've ever heared of a really "RED" mg, but I've tried to find one. Maybe Ron can shed some light on this. :) Arum

• luvsgrtdanes
    16 years ago

Arum how about a new thread for 2007, since we aren't going to get our MG forum it seems? I have lots of new pics and this one might get over loaded. We could all post some of our recent ones...

• ARUM
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ronnie, sounds good. Except, I can't seem to get my pics on the site. I'm really not a computer person. I've tried :)

• luvsgrtdanes
    16 years ago

Arum, try photo bucket it's real easy and free. So is Picasa but not quite as easy to post the but very do able!!
    Are your pics at a web site? If they are email me and I will tell you how to post them. It really isn't hard when you get the hang of it. You can either post the pic or send a link. If you want to send me some pictures I will post them for you if you have trouble.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photobucket

• dionysus.god
    16 years ago

hey, don't worry 'bout it. i have been called worse names b4. some of them are really quite stupid and pertain to fruit! lol. right now, i have a MG called red picotee (pinkish w/ white edges and star shaped flower) growing in a large tomato juice can. they are doing ok, so i will have some flowers hopefully by X-mas if i take care of them well. i'll keep ya posted.